Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Hi,My son is 19 years old, he has been diagnosed since he

My son is 19 years old, he has been diagnosed since he was 5 years old with IDD, OCD, and Tourette Sindrom by different doctors and each Dr. With diferent diagnosis in Mexico City and Houson Texsas. He tooked a lot of different medications for many years.
Six years ago he refused to take any more medications. Today he is a teen ager that goes to college with very low self estim, no social life, he suffer of insomnia, he can be up all night or he can be playing video games for 10 hours continuously. His tolerance is very little, he is very intelligent but had abandoned school 3 times is very hard for him to respect the authority and boundaries. In some areas is very mature and in others very immature.
I will like to know your opinion, if there is any test that can really give a diagnosis or what should I do for my son. Mary
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mary,

Ok. Well, it sounds like you have spent a number of years trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your son's previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing his issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

It sounds like he has been receiving good care from very qualified physicians without any significant lasting improvement in his condition. At this point I think the best thing you can do would be to gather up copies of all your son's medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that he could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near your home.

If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for your son to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC