Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience:  •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.
66242556

I had a holter monitor done and results showed occasional pvcs

I had a holter monitor done and results showed occasional pvc's and pac's with a couplet. I am worried about these results as I have heard couplets are not good
Category: Medical
Expert:  Coachrobmd replied 2 years ago.

Coachrobmd :

Hi, I'm Doctor Robert, a Medical Internist (MD) who deals with diseases of all organ systems. All my education has been completed in the US.

Coachrobmd :

No, couplets on occasion are not concerning.

Coachrobmd :

You need to know the total # XXXXX 24 hours to assess the severity. The trouble comes when you put three or move PVC's together.

Coachrobmd :

If you have REPEATED couplets, that's different. But if it's occasional, that is not especially concerning.

Customer:

I think there were around 20

Coachrobmd :

Avoid tobacco, caffeint, and alcohol.

Coachrobmd :

20 in an entire day?

Customer:

I am still getting them pretty regularly. My doc says I am okay but I am worried. Is this a normal holter

Coachrobmd :

Have you had a cardiologist review the Holter? What did he say?

Customer:

It was done by a heart specialty place and that was their interpretation is that good enough

Coachrobmd :

Yes, that's good enough. They looked at the shape of the EKG tracing PVC's and determined there is no risk.

Coachrobmd :

So, if they do this every day, and have examined it, then I would trust them.

Coachrobmd :

If an echocardiogram has not been done, that would be the next step if any.

Coachrobmd :

And continue the beta blockers.

Coachrobmd :

Any other questions I can answer for you today?

Coachrobmd :

Please realize this: I am limited to the information that I glean from your posts, as I can't see, talk to, or touch you. I can only give you my approach to the evaluation of your symptoms if you were in my office. That puts me at a disadvantage compared to your doctor who actually sees your body right there in the office. This is just the nature of advising across the internet. A specific diagnosis under these conditions is VERY difficult.

Coachrobmd :

If a heart specialist said it was okay, then why not trust them? They don't benefit from putting you at risk.

Customer:

I had one last july that was ok. what would it tell that holter did not

Coachrobmd :

If the echocardiogram was normal, then you don't have structural abnormalities that can cause PVC's. So, the work up is now complete. Congrats!

Coachrobmd :

Anything else?

Customer:

sorry I thought you said ekg

Coachrobmd :

No, echocardiogram. That is the only other thing that MAY be of value. And a holter is better than an EKG.

Customer:

are pvc's and pac's normal to have. Why is holter better than ekg

Coachrobmd :

Because t hey occur in many normal people. They occur occasionally during stress, eercise,etc.

Coachrobmd :

And a holter is a 24 hour CONTINUOUS EKG, versus an EKG that looks for just six seconds.

Coachrobmd :

Anxiety is a common cause of these by the way.

Coachrobmd :

Customer:

can it interpret the same thing as ekg and diagnose the same like ischemia

Coachrobmd :

Yes, it can do that, but is better for rhythm abnormalities. It's not desinged for ischemia; an Exercise Treadmill Test (ETT) is better for that.

Customer:

Is it normal to feel these as big skips

Coachrobmd :

Yes, it is.

Coachrobmd :

Are you crying???

Customer:

sometimes cause I am worried

Coachrobmd :

Well, worry less and listen more to the cardiologist who examined you and reviewed the holter. if you didn't trust them, you should not have had them do the test. Does this make sense?

Coachrobmd :

Beta blockers are very effective.

Coachrobmd :

Anything else?

Customer:

the cardiologist did not examine me only my gp. I am already on atenolol 12.5mg

Coachrobmd :

That's great. you're on the proper medications and the holter was not concerning.

Coachrobmd :

So, please don't worry.

Customer:

do you think I am ok with nothing to worry about even though they continue

Coachrobmd :

Yes, you're okay. That's what the Holter said.

Coachrobmd :

and the cardiologist.

Customer:

thanks I will try not to worry do you think it is just anxiey

Coachrobmd :

Sure.

Coachrobmd :

If you found this information useful, please click ACCEPT (and provide positive feedback which is FREE) in that case so that I may receive payment for assisting you today. Thanks!

Coachrobmd :

I do rely on your good faith. Yes, you can read my answer and love the advice without clicking ACCEPT and use the information to help you deal with your medical issue. But I'd appreciate an accept for my attention to your problem and the 14 years of training it took to be able to give you this advice. I have given you a list of ideas for discussion with your primary care physician. That's the best I can do without actually seeing you.

Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience: •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.