Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have two large bumps on the each side on the back of tongue.

I have two large bumps on the each side on the back of tongue. There is no pain though it does feel like there is a kernal stuck. the bumps are on both sides in the same spot. Its been a few days and i remember first feeling them after i ate almonds, but would think it should have resolved by now.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 2 years ago.

I am an ENT specialist and can help you with this.

You are having enlarged lingual tonsils.

Lingual tonsils are lymphoid tissues which are found normally at the base of the tongue, just like the palatine tonsils (which are at the side of the tongue and which we normally mean when we say 'tonsils').

Just like the palatine tonsils, the lingual tonsils can also get enlarged due to infection, inflammation, etc.

You are likely to be having a mild infection which has caused these tonsils to be become enlarged.

Since it is bilateral this is the most likely cause.

Usually gurgle is sufficient - use a mild antiseptic gargle like Betadine gargle, H2O2 gargle or any other antiseptic gargle - gargle regularly about three times a day specially after meals.

The other possibility is that these are circumvallate papillae - these are taste buds at the base of the tongue - these also may become enlarged in the same way - treatment is the same in this case also with gargle.

However, if this does not resolve the problem - see your doctor. A clinical examination will confirm the cause - if necessary your doctor can prescribe prescription strength medicines for this.

Look up here for images for lingual tonsils and circumvallate papillae:
Lingual tonsils
Circumvallate papillae

Take care - gargle is sufficient for either usually - but see a doctor if it persists.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer if you have been helped (or click on a 'smiley' feedback if there is no accept button). Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated. Do not hesitate to ask further questions if you need more info.
With regards,
Dr. P.Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do no believe these bumps are the lingual tonsils being that they are visible on the back of my tongue just in front of the uvula. That being said, if they were circumvallate papillae would they be a mirror image of each other? They are not identical in shape but very close in shape and size and I would assume the papillae would be more of a random distribution.
Yes, the circumvallate papillae would be quite symmetrical.

They are not arranged randomly but in straight rows - so they are arranged quite symmetrically normally.

If they are in front of the uvula, they are more likely to be circumvallate papillae as you have intuited.

Gargle is sufficient for this usually - so try this at first.

Take care - see a doctor if it persists.

With regards,
Dr. P.Jyoti, MD.
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.