Dr Mask
Dr Mask, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS with 06 years Clinical Exposure in Surgery & Internal Medicine
27212923

I have a swollen lump on the left hand side of my head next

I have a swollen lump on the left hand side of my head next to my ear that came up a few days ago and is painful to touch. What is it?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Mask replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer

Is it in front of your ear or behind it?

Are there any medical conditions diagnosed for you so far and what medications are you on for them?

Are there any other symptoms such fever, sore throat etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bside the left ear region in the back of my head starting at the hairline. No fever or sore throat.
Expert:  Dr Mask replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information and for your patience

The possible explanation for a painful swelling behind the ear could be mastoiditis however for that there would be a history of ear pain or a change in hearing ability which you have not mentioned and besides that the swelling is below the hairline, just behind the ear which is not the location you have mentioned.

The other possibility could be an inflamed lymph node. However the hairline again is the common site for a lymph node either.

So what we are left with is a sebaceous cyst. This can be painful.

Although it is highly likely to be a sebaceous cyst and the treatment option for it is excision (removal, a minor procedure), However it would be best to be examined for being sure about the diagnosis.

In the mean while you can start Advil for pain management.

Hope This Helped

Please remember to click Accept

Regards
Dr MASK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It appeared about three days ago, the size of a silver dollar and feels like the size of a golf ball. On the lower left hand side of the back of my head and is sore to touch. Does that info help maybe a little more?
Expert:  Dr Mask replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for adding the size. However please understand that with a physical examination one can not comment exactly on the diagnosis for this swelling.

But keeping in view the location (hairline) and the way it has presented it is very highly likely to be a sebaceous cyst.

And the treatment for it is surgery. So in any case it would be best to get it physically examined.

The other possibility could have been a carbuncle but then that usually is faster and is associated with fever. It could have been a furuncle but then that usually does not grow to the size you have mentioned.

So to conclude although this very likely is a sebaceous cyst still an examination is warranted.

Hope this Helps

Please remember to click Accept

Regards
Dr MASK
Dr Mask, Doctor
Experience: MBBS with 06 years Clinical Exposure in Surgery & Internal Medicine