Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.

My entire left shoulder, arm and hand have severe pain and

My entire left shoulder, arm and hand have severe pain and numbness. I was diagnosed with MS and am on Copaxone.
I was diagnosed with Polio at age 4, and was NOT given either the Salk nor Sabin vaccine. Supposedly not genetic, both my mother and father were polio victims. I am also a DES child. I have the Parkinsons gene,and have had Lymphoma in 1986.
I beat the 5 year mark on the Lymphoma with no recurrance since. The left arm, shoulder and hand are giving me such pain that it is like a continual knife slicing through me. It also seems like the muscle mass is degenerating.

Help? Abe
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.

Considering pain at one limb - I would like to rule out irritation of the nerve at the spine level. The spine consists of vertebrae and intervertebral discs {soft tissue cushion if I may say}. The cord or bunch of nerves in simple word passes through the spinal canal {formed by vertebral body in front and ring like posterior part around}. Any bone spur of displacement or bulge of the disc cause pressure over the cord which results in symptoms like pain / numbness / tingling due to nerve irritation. The nerves leave the spinal canal through small rounded openings laterally. Pinching of these nerve roots can occur at this level too.

MRI for cervical spine should give us more answers.

Treatment consists of prescription medicines/ physiotherapy/ electrotherapy/ steroid shots. Surgery is the last option.

Wish you well.

Good luck
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Doctor, I am sorry to keep bothering you however this is quite vital to my mortality?? I have had C Spine and Brain MRI exams. In one set of pics, there are no visible lesions. In the second set of pics, there are lesions visible? Why? Can the MS be exacerbating the polio pain, loss of muscle use and very visible loss of muscle mass? What about the sinemet
and mirapex for the Parkinsons? How would they affect my situation?
I notice severe "shaking" and "twitching" internally. My neck and shoulder can be seen twitching and my stomach area has the very irritating feeling of twitching. Secondarily, I have a urostomy as well as a colostomy bags, due to Interstitial Cystitus and Lynch Syndrome.
I'M A WRECK ???
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry for the delay, I was in an emergency.

Please calm down. I know you are having multiple problems BUT believe me I have seen many individuals in bad shape than you are in. You need to be patient and show a positive attitude. I am sure you will feel better soon.

Pain, weakness and loss of muscle mass all indicate abnormal nerve supply. It can be due to demyelination {MS changes at Brain and spine} or pinching of nerve roots at the spine level. MS changes can alter in their appearance {between studies done months apart}. Pinching of nerve at the spine level if there is easily treatable and so I want it to be seen. MS may also present with weakness, numbness and pain. It may increase polio pain too.

SINEMET is a combination of carbidopa and levodopa for the treatment of Parkinson's disease and syndrome. It may present with side effects like muscle or joint pain but it looks less likely with you.

Best
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience: Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.