Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience:  •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.

I fell and hit my tailbone, how can I tell if anything is broken?

I fell and hit my tailbone, how can I tell if anything is broken? The pain is pretty bad and I am black and blue around that area, what should I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Coachrobmd replied 1 year ago.

Coachrobmd :

Hi, I'm Doctor Robert, a Medical Internist (MD) who deals with diseases of all organ systems. All my education has been completed in the US.

Coachrobmd :

Are you there?

Coachrobmd :

Hello?

Coachrobmd :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes, I am

Coachrobmd :

Please read this paragraph BEFORE we continue. Realize this please: I am limited to the information that I read on your posts, as I can't see, talk to, or touch you. I can only give you my approach to the evaluation of your symptoms if you were in my office. That puts me at a disadvantage compared to your doctor who can touch you. This is the nature/limitation of medical advising across the internet. If you will only consider ACCEPTING my advice (and compensating me for my time) if: 1) I provide an EXACT diagnosis and 2) a DEFINITIVE treatment plan (including specific medications and doses), then I cannot help you in this internet chat format. So, if you want me to advise you, type “YES”. If you type “NO”, I’ll opt out and let another expert (who also cannot see you) give it a try. So, shall we work together now, Yes or No?

Customer:

no

Coachrobmd :

This is called the coccyx, and is often broken from a fall.

Coachrobmd :

Do you want to know what to do about this?

Customer:

yes

Coachrobmd :

Then read my reponse which follows.

Coachrobmd :

1. Coccyx fractures are common and often go unnoticed.

Customer:

Ok

Coachrobmd :

2. It is diagnosed by an x-ray.

Coachrobmd :

3. If it is broken there is NO way to splint of cast it.

Coachrobmd :

4. If broken, it generally heals but slowly because you're always sitting on your bum. That's a problem.

Coachrobmd :

5. You can facilitate healing by sitting less, or buying a donut cusion. Do you know what that is?

Customer:

Yes I do

Coachrobmd :

You can get them at Walmart for under $10. This takes pressure off the tailbone. It's awesome for this problem.

Coachrobmd :

6. You can take Over the Counter (OTC) pain relievers with a full glass of water to p[rotect your stomach.

Coachrobmd :

7. Bruising is natural as you probably broke it.

Coachrobmd :

8. It will heal as I said, but slowly, and after much aggravation.

Coachrobmd :

9. I've never seen a case where surgery is required because of the way the anatomy around it is set up.

Coachrobmd :

Do you follow me so far?

Coachrobmd :

Yes or No? Please type just ONE of those words so you don't have to type so much.

Customer:

yes

Coachrobmd :

RICE therapy as described here works as well: http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/sprain_4.htm

Coachrobmd :

Any other questions I can answer for you today?

Coachrobmd :

The blacka and blue will turn yellow then fade away, by the way

Customer:

No, thank you you have been very helpful, bye

Coachrobmd :

Are you satisfied with all my advice today? Yes or No?

Customer:

Yes

Coachrobmd :

If you found this information useful, please click ACCEPT (and provide positive feedback which is FREE) in that case so that I may receive payment for assisting you today. Thanks!

Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience: •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.