Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I am a 62 year old man with about 19% efficiency of my kidneys.

I am a 62 year old man with about 19% efficiency of my kidneys. I have been under the care of a nephrologist for about 15 years, during that time my kidneys have worsened I also have hep c with a low viral load and very minimal scaring to my liver. (I had a biopsy recently).The surgical doctor at the hospital where I am contemplating getting a transplant at recommends that I take a hep c kidney, stating that my wait time would only be about 2 months and that I would be more likely to receive a younger donor and a kidney that is in good condition. The traditional list is 4 years long. The doctor also does not recommend that I take the donation of a Kidney from my 27 year old son. He is a match. The surgical doctor feels that operations on both the donor and recipient is not necessary in this situation. My nephrologist prefers the kidney to come from my son. What do you think. Which kidney should I take? I am not on dialysis. I have been taking medications for high blood pressure and gout for some time now.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 5 years ago.
CI would take the hep C kidney.

Get it done fast, your son keeps his kidney and then you can treat the hep C.

If you have follow up questions, please ask prior to accepting.
Thanks and please accept