Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

i have leg and toe cramps, low back pain, i have osteoporosis,

i have leg and toe cramps, low back pain, i have osteoporosis, and take Reclast 1 time a year, my concern is, i have taken Nexium about 6 years, can the nexium have any thing to do with my leg and toe cramps, my Dr. ordered xray of my left leg. he says it is artheritis
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question

Do you have cramps in both legs?
Do you get cramps at night time?
Do you have pain in knee or ankle joint?
Numbness in legs?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mostly cramps in my left leg and toes.Sometimes in my right leg at nite. No numbness. My ankles also hurt. 'the cramping in my left leg also during the day, More constant
Thanks for the prompt reply. The drug Nexium belongs to group
proton-pump inhibitors, or PPIs. Also according to research, PPIs might affect the body’s absorption of calcium, which in turn could lead to osteoporosis and fractures. As you are already taking Reclast for osteoporosis, so you should not panic.
Cramps in leg and toe is not due to side effect of Nexium. Patient who use nexium for long term, will not develop cramps in legs and toe. You can check this link-

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/do-ppis-have-long-term-side-effects.shtml

These cramps can occur with-
-Imbalance of electrolyte levels in body.
-Thyroid disorder- Hypothyroidism
-Peripheral artery disease.

For precise diagnosis, you need to get few tests done, These are-
Complete blood count, Blood sugar test, Thyroid hormone test, Ultrasound of legs. Also sodium, potassium, and calcium levels in blood should be checked.
I suggest you to get clinically evaluated from doctor.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Good luck and take care.
Please click Green "ACCEPT" button on this page so that I get credit for my work. Positive Feedback & BONUS are appreciated.