Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a small hard lump on my left testicle. I am 30 yrs

I have a small hard lump on my left testicle. I am 30 yrs old. It is fairly painful at times and i just noticed it within the last 24 hours. I only have intercourse with my wife and we are STD free. It is not on the cords or veins but off to the side just a little. It is hard and sensitive. It hasn't been here long enough to notice any growing in it. I can't move it around (as in it stays in the same place on my testicle). I don't see any abnormal fluid around the testicle. Nor have I discharged anything abnormal (That ive noticed). For about a week before I noticed it, it felt like I had blue balls in only that testicle. I've read about it quite a bit online, but would like a guess from one of you...... and its Saturday so I cant get to a Dr til Monday.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
There are several possible causes of a lump on a testicle. It is common to have a collection of fluid, such as a hydrocele, spermatocele, vesicocele, or hematocele. It is not always possible to detect the communication of such structures to normal anatomic structures. For example, a spermatocele can occur along the loose portion of the spermatic cord, but it also can occur in the portion that is draped over the testicle, so may not feel to be part of the cord. It also can be a simple cyst. By the location that you describe, a spermatocele or a simple cyst would be the most likely. Infections also can cause some swelling, but it is usually not localized. Although not the most common cause of a lump, the most worrisome potential cause of a lump would be a cancer that has arisen from the testicle. Ultimately, it would require an appropriate evaluation to determine the exact cause, but none of these problems require an urgent evaluation. The only condition that would require an urgent evaluation would be torsion (twisting) of the testicle, which usually causes significant pain, but can also cause swelling, although usually not a small separate lump. Until you can be seen, it may help to apply cold compresses to help ease the swelling and to relieve tension on the scrotum, such as by wearing an athletic supporter.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I read about the Spermatocele a bit also on some sites. But if a spermatocele is in the epididymis how far can a lump be from the cord? Sorry I have more questions... What drapes over the testical? There is probably 2-3 cm between the lump and the cord. I know its not torsion. And if (hopefully) it is spermatocele it "Should" go away on it's own, but if it gets bigger, what is the usual treatment. Same question for a common cyst too... Would that have to be surgically removed or drained?
It is a portion of the epididymis that drapes over the testicle. As it travels downwards, it collects the sperm from the testicle, then turns and separates from the testicle as it passes upwards from the lower pole of the testicle. Some people use the term, epididymis, to refer to the entire structure, but the more proper use of the term applies only to the portion draped over the testicle, and the term, vas deferens, refers to the portion that ascends through the scrotum. Many spermatoceles and simple cysts will improve with conservative care, such as the cold compresses and athletic supporter. Even if it persists, many spermatoceles or cysts that do not cause symptoms do not require specific treatment. If a persistent spermatocele or cyst is larger or causes persistent pain, then it may require surgery.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok great. So with the symptoms that I have given you, testicular cancer is probably not it right? There are no prior testicular cancers in my family history.... and I know its pretty rare, but its always in the back of my mind.
Yes, it is not likely to be testicular cancer, as the other problems are more common, but it requires a proper evaluation to definitely say that it is not cancer.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, thx will do.