Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.

What are the best treatments for Floating Rib Syndrome in an

What are the best treatments for Floating Rib Syndrome in an 88 year old woman to relieve the recurrent sharp pains?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

I can understand your anxiety.

Floating rib indicates that the the part which joins rib to the sternum is weak and so the rib does not stay in place. This causes dull pain at the lower part of the chest. The cause can be congenital/ trauma or may be chronic inflammation.

In your case - Prior to labeling the pain as secondary to floating rib, I would rule out other causes like abnormality at the lung, pleura or upper abdominal structures. I assume this must have been done. If not few investigations like chest x ray followed by CT scan for thorax/ ultrasound of abdomen/ upper GI scopy will give us more answers.

Treatment for floating rib consists of medicines like Motrin, Tylenol. Prescription analgesics may be needed if pain does not reduce. Steroid shots are needed rarely in severe pain. Warm compress does help too. A chiropractor may give you some exercise to strengthen the surrounding muscles and thus reduce pain.

Wish you well.

Good luck