Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

Hi..my father passed away April 10. He had valve replacement

Hi..my father passed away April 10. He had valve replacement march 9,which went well but after surgery he could not breath well. My mom repeatedly told his drs this and he got worse and worse, until he died suddenly at home. He had several risk factors, mostly fax. Never had trouble breathing. He was to have a pulmonary function test in may. His ekg and echo were good 4 days before he died. Should they have been more proactive and looked at this sooner?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 4 years ago.

MD Doc :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

MD Doc :

First of all, let me convey my deepest sympathies for your loss,

MD Doc :

While hindsight can be 20/20, I believe that it can be tough to put blame on anyone in this situation, since as you have your self stated, he had a normal EKG and ECHO just 4 days before his death.

MD Doc :

It is not possible to say that doing a pulmonary function test would have changed the management in any meaningful way for certain.

MD Doc :

I do agree that persistent breathing problems after a valve replacement do demand a detailed follow up, but it does appear that the medical care taken was not negligent,

MD Doc :

An autopsy might provide further answers to the exact cause of death, and let us know if the doctors missed something that they could have prevented,

MD Doc :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications

Customer: Thankyou, I just feel they should have acted with more urgency. I will get his records and review them.