On Call MD
On Call MD, MD
Experience:  US Board Certified Physician
60998453

I sweat profusely all day, my hair gets wet, sweat runs down

I sweat profusely all day, my hair gets wet, sweat runs down my neck, I am hypothyroid I take 100mcg daily and I am taking 40 mg citalapram. Is this the problem or what is wrong with me?
Category: Medical
Expert:  On Call MD replied 2 years ago.

On Call MD :

Welcome to Just Answer it is my pleasure to help you

On Call MD :

did this problem happen after you started taking the levo thyroxine or even before it?

Customer:

Started before but keeps getting worse as my doses get higher

On Call MD :

most probably in your case the L thyroxine is the cause of these symptoms

On Call MD :

and need to be adjusted /lowered to reduce such symptoms

Customer:

Is there something else I can do or take to help me?

On Call MD :

it is one of the systemic effect of thyroxine so the way to eliminate it is to lower the dose I suggest talking to your dr so he can lower it for you

Customer:

Ok, but what should I do for fatigue and weight gain?

On Call MD :

for how long did you have hypothyroidism?

Customer:

4-5 years

On Call MD :

thats probably why the fatigue and weight gain

On Call MD :

there are some medications like anticholinergics that can reduce sweating but i wont recommend it as it increases the heart rate and has its side effects

On Call MD :

the safest would be lowering the dose

Customer:

If I get the thyroxine lowered to stop the sweating, then would it be beneficial if I get the antidepressant changed to another kind so it would it also help to stop the sweating and help with the weight gain. If so what kind of antidepressant should I try to switch to?

Customer:

What about iodine tablets?

On Call MD :

i wouldnt change the antidepressant for now

On Call MD :

i wouldnt take iodine tablets if you are already on treatment for thyroid

On Call MD :

let your endocrinologist handle the drugs for you

On Call MD :

do you have any more questions?

Customer:

no thank you for your advice

On Call MD, MD
Experience: US Board Certified Physician