Dr Brims
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  MD
14307416

I am so sick of this Post Nasal drip. I cant get to sleep

I am so sick of this Post Nasal drip. I can't get to sleep due to it. . I can't lay down. I and put me to sleep without success. Now I am drowsy, but I can't quit clearing my throat and cant sleep I even took a zanx to help me fall asleep and nothing. I am also drinking tons of warm water . I just can't get it to shut off .
What can I do to get rid of this? ITs a living hell I cant sleep and its putting an additional stressor on my because I am already depressed and bi polar.

How do I get sleep. I don't have allergies I dont have a stuffy nose. They said I had acid reflux I have been on daxilant for at least two months. I did have my nose done years ago and could it possibly be a deviated symptom cause chronic phlegm. If so does having surgery fix it.. (i really don't want to do this). The phlemg sort of died out a bit when I was talking an antibotic for an abcess tooth which was not an abcess.

Please help me this is driving me out of my mind. I can't sleep and I am looking like a wreck. I am a pretty lady and this is sucking the pretty out of me.

What can I do to sleep tonigth please help me. Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 2 years ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Customer:

Thank you!

Dr Brims :

What color is the mucus?

Customer:

It will not come out. I think its normal white. THis morning i blew my nose.. It seems like when I cry mucus comes out of my nose or somethings when I get near steamy water mucus comes out of my nose which then feels good

Dr Brims :

How long have you had this?

Customer:

but too much phlemg in the throat

Customer:

I had this for over three months. it sort of went away for a bit.

Customer:

Its driving me nuts.

Customer:

I can't sleep and its putting stress on me I already have bipolar depression.

Dr Brims :

Have you tried a nasal saline rinse?

Customer:

I did does not work.. I will try it again tonight. I also tried the neti pot nothing.. It gets more thicker during the night.

Customer:

I even take a xanx to realax myself.. I am so scared of this.

Dr Brims :

How many times a day did you use it?

Dr Brims :

the rinse

Customer:

It makes me not to be able to concentrate on my bipolar to get it fixed... I have this phlegm It depressed me.

Dr Brims :

How many times a day did you use the rinse?

Customer:

Well I use to use it before.. but I use to get a buring throat and could not breath.. I went through hell. I went to the emergecny room thinking my throat was closing could not breath. But now the throat closing has not come back.. but the phlegm did.

Customer:

They told me it was acid reflux and allergies

Customer:

but I got an endoscopy and showed nothing

Customer:

If i could get rid of this phlemg ican go to sleep at nights.

Dr Brims :

Please answer the question I asked above

Customer:

I am not using everyday... because when i had the phlemg it never went away... It only went away when I was taking antibotics for a tooth abecess which I did not have after dentist told me.

Dr Brims :

What antibiotic?

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

climdamycin

Customer:

n

Dr Brims :

Okay, this may be due to a chronic sinus infection, you may benefit from 5-7 days of antibiotics as well as a nasal steroid spray to clear it

Customer:

but itook the antibotics for ten days..it cleared up then came back..why

Dr Brims :

using a saine nasal spray 3 times a day would likely also help

Dr Brims :

Probably because it was still inflamed which made it return, that is why you need the spray

Customer:

can i use a regular saline or doI need a sterioid spray.

Customer:

i also still have some of the antibotics should I takethem without thedoctor knowing?

Dr Brims :

You may use a saline rinse until you can get your doctor to prescribe a the steroid spray

Dr Brims :

No, you should not take the antibiotics you have

Customer:

Okay so should this help me to sleep?

Customer:

I really need to sleep

Dr Brims :

It should help you

Customer:

my depression is putting so much stress on me and If ican't sleep i will end up sick.

Customer:

the neti pot good?

Dr Brims :

The neti pot is fine

Customer:

can i ask you why so much drippings of phlmeng go in the throat and will not shut off?

Customer:

its like a faucet

Customer:

and you have to clear andclear

Dr Brims :

it is likely due to inflammation of the sinuses

Customer:

does it go away or it will always return

Dr Brims :

It does not always return

Customer:

okay i hope so. this is really driving me to throw myself over a bridge.

Customer:

I will try the neti pot tonight and hopefully i can sleep.

Customer:

When i use it should i see mucus come out.. because i never do

Dr Brims :

You may not see it

Customer:

well what does it do to stop the phlemgh/

Customer:

I don't understand if it does not take it out

Dr Brims :

it helps clear the sinuses and allergens

Customer:

okay i hope this works and I will take your word for it. If this helps god bless you!

Customer:

I want to live happy

Dr Brims :

I hope you feel better

Customer:

Thanks should I let you know if it will work?

Dr Brims :

yes, please do

Customer:

If it does not what else are my alternatives.

Customer:

to got to sleep

Dr Brims :

The other alternative is to see your doctyor for the antibiotics and steroid spray

Customer:

okay but does not anti botics loose their affect when you use them to many times

Dr Brims :

Not if it is a different antibiotic

Customer:

okay fine.. I will gouse the neti so i can get sleep... God bless you if this works.

Customer:

use

Dr Brims :

You're welcome

If you have other questions at another time you may request me by starting your question with "for Dr Brims", or reply to this question

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this topic

If not, please click the green ACCEPT button to end this chat session

Customer:

I just wanted to know if my mediation Lamical can cause phlegm

Dr Brims :

No, it is unlikely

Customer:

ok thank you! :)

Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: MD