khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.

I really need some help! My feet get so hot a night that I

I really need some help! My feet get so hot a night that I can't sleep unless I get up
and put my feet in some cold water or go stand where the floor in cold. Along with the
heat the feet have a slight numbness. I have asked several doctors about this condition
but no one can get me an answer. There must be a doctor somewhere that might be able
to give me some relief. This has been going on for a few years. The doctor's that I talked
to first thought of diabetes but after that they had no ideas. Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.
How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? If so, over what period of time?
Any skin change in the feet? Swelling? Redness? Warmness? Tingling?
Do you have problem adjusting to cold temperature? Do you feel you are always tired? Dry skin? Fragile nails? Loss of outer eyebrows? Hair loss? Constipation? Sleep problem? Voice change? Muscle pain? Joint pain?
Do you have any other symptoms associated with your problem?
Are you aware of anything which might have brought this on?
Do you have any medical problems?
Any surgeries?
Are you taking any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs?
Do you drink alcohol? If so, how much and how often?
Any family medical history?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

5'11'- 175 lbs. No

No, No,No, No, No

No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No,

No

No

No

In the past, appendix,gall bladder, skin cancer

simvastatin, fish oil pill, baby aspirin, vitamin

Perhaps one drink per month

No family history of my foot problem

Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.
Pain? Weakness of foot muscles? Weakness of the toes or ankle? When did it start? Is it constant? Is it getting worse? Does anything make it better or worse?
What was or is your job? Are or were you exposed to heavy metals?
Do you have athlete foot?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No pain or weakness of foot muscles, toe or ankles. I can't remember when it started but has been a few years. It is pretty constant but once in a while I can make it through the night. It is the same every night, no worse no better. Walking around and using some type of cold is the only thing that helps. I am a retired High School Activities Director. No exposure to heavy metals and I do not have athlete's foot.l
Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.
You could have burning feet syndrome (BFS).
You should see a neurologist to have electrophysiological studies (nerve conduction velocities, electromyography or nerve biopsy) and MRI to rule out peripheral neuropathy and multiple sclerosis.

General treatment for all cases of BFS includes reassurance about the benign nature of the disorder. Wearing open and comfortable shoes, especially those with arch supports, and wearing cotton socks is
helpful. Soaking the feet in cold water (not ice cold) for around 15 minutes can bring symptomatic temporary relief. Avoidance of feet exposure to heat should be advised. Tricyclic antidepressants or membrane stabilising agents such as carbamazepine or gabapentin may be used for symptomatic relief.
Local application of capsaicin ointment and percutaneous nitroglycerine therapy may alleviate pain
and burning. If BFS is due to flat feet, orthotics may help restore the foot’s arch. If inflammation of the nerve is causing the compression, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) may be prescribed. In patients where pain is not relieved by NSAIDs, local injectable steroids may be beneficial. Surgical
decompression to relieve nerve entrapment may be needed if conservative measures fail.
khagihara, Doctor
Experience: Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.