Doctor Marcus
Doctor Marcus, Board Certified MD
Experience:  US Trained, US Board Certified MD, Medical School Faculty Member
28702373

I smell cigarette smoke when there is none. I don not smoke

I smell cigarette smoke when there is none. I don not smoke and no one does around me.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Marcus replied 4 years ago.
Greetings. How long has this been going on? Are you having any other symptoms (allergies, vision trouble, headaches)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This has been going on for about a year.
I do have frequent headaches. No allergies.
Thank you for the additional information. Have your headaches been getting worse? Do you have any prior medical evaluations for this problem or your headaches?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My headaches have not been getting worse.
I mentioed this to my physician and he said he never heard of it.
There are several different potential causes for this. A loss of the sense of smell has a fancy name: anosmia. Sometimes no cause is ever found (idiopathic), and sometimes allergies is a cause (though this does not seem to be your issue). Other conditions which can cause problems with the air flow through the inside of the nose up to the nerves which detect smell such as nasal polyps or a problem with the nerve itself (head trauma, a structural problem in the brain affecting the function of the nerve or it's connection to the brain). The test which can evaluate for the structural problems in the brain is an MRI. Otherwise, referral to an ear, nose, and throat doctor can help identify a problem like polyps which can be corrected.