Dr Khan
Dr Khan, Doctor
Experience:  MB, MRCP(UK), MCPS(Medicine)

I have a resting heart rate of 48 - 52 BPM. I currently take

I have a resting heart rate of 48 - 52 BPM. I currently take a beta blocker (propranolol) for migrains and it has been effective in preventing headaches. I am also a regular recreational runner (3 or 4 miles a day, 3 or 4 days a week). Is there any danger in having such a low heart rate? Will my running cause it to drop to an unsafe rate?
Hello and Welcome to JA
Thank you very much for your question and coming to this service
Do you have any symptoms with this heart rate specially any fatigue/weakness,dizziness or shortness of breath?
Any diagnosed past medical issues?
What is the dose of propranolol?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have no symptoms and no diagnosed past medical issues except I have high choesteral which is treated with simvastatin. I don't have my script with me on the propranolol but I remember it being low
Thank you for the details
Your background of regular activity, absence of symptoms and any relevant heart related issues make a serious underlying problem unlikely
Your heart rate in this range may well be what we call as Athletes Heart
Regular work out tones up your pumping function of heart and makes circulation smooth and vessels more pliable so that blood flow is rather facilitated . In turn heart has to work less and pulse goes down
In fact you might have heard that well trained athletes may have their heart rates even below 40s.
Concern arises when it causes symptoms(which i mentioned above) or there is any suggestion of underlying heart disease in which case further testing to check for blockage in heart vessels is necessary
This action and low pulse in your case is also compounded by the fact that you are taking propranolol which slows pulse down
With your present description I would not be alarmed unless you have symptoms suggestive of low pulse or heart disease
Medication is currently controlling migraine effectively as you described however other options can be tried which do not affect pulse like Gabapentine. Topiramate, Nortriptyline etc
You are welcome for any further queries
Best Regards