Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

I am bleeding from my anus. It is bright red and flowing. It

Customer Question

I am bleeding from my anus. It is bright red and flowing. It has been that way for 3 days. I am 34, 6ft, 275lbs,l smoke cigarettes. What should I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
So, the blood is not stopping and it is causing blood all over your underwear?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the last 2 days that was not true, but now there is blood on my underwear and when i went to go to the bathroom, the toilet water was bright red and i could hear the blood flow out of my anus like water.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
This sounds like you have a bleeding hernia or a possible polyp so I would recommend going to the ER so that you can get this evaluated in person and treated.
If you have a bleeding hernia this can be dealt with by cauterization.
This could also be an infection - and hence you might need antibiotics.
Also, there is a disease called IBD - Inflammatory Bowel Disease such as UC - Ulcerative colitiis so this could be the cause of the bleeding too.
Unlikely this is a cancer - but you do need to be treated so you do not become anemic and lose too much blood.
I hope this helps, if you have follow up questions, please ask
thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is there anything i can do from home to stop this? I am unemployed and I do not have insurance or a doctor.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
There really is not much that can be done at home other than pressure to the bleeding site, but if you have a bleeding area that is higher than the anus such as in the rectum or sigmoid - this really will need to be taken care internally.
I wish there was a better way.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I cannot afford the er visit. Is this something that can heal itself, or is this potentially life threatening?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
There is nothing available over the counter - and I wish I can tell you one way or the other, but bleeding from the anus, can be quite serious - and this really needs to be evaluated.
The bleeding could be a hemorroid and that is all, but if this is bleeding higher - it will need to be treated as such and you might need a colonoscopy to treat it or something else - but there is no way to know until a diagnosis is made.
You do not have to pay, take care
I am going to opt out and let someone else answer.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 years ago.
Answers are for informational purposes only. You should always see a doctor when you have a medical question.

I agree. Get to the hospital or call 911. This is potentially life threatening.