Dr.Israr, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS

I have a hard bump between my jaw and ear. It appeared suddenly

I have a hard bump between my jaw and ear. It appeared suddenly this past Sunday and it hurts and it's warm. Probably a lymph but I don't appear to have an infection or cold. The doc gave me antibiotics that I m taking for the past 4 days but it doesn't seem to sublide. What do you suggest it might be and what could i do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for using just answer.

Could you describe a little more completely the location of this bump? Is it between ear and upper jaw or lower jaw?

Any history of sore throat associated?

Any history of discharge from ear?

Is it on both sides or only one side?

Which antibiotics you have already tried?

Is this bump is getting larger or smaller?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Between ear and upper jaw. No throat history. No discharge from ear. On left side only. Taking cipro. Remains the same but it feels like it has a fever.

I should say i have a history of sarcoidosis (15 years ago) for which i m still taking a dose once a week of methotrexate.

Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 4 years ago.
Ok and thanks for your input.

There are various possibilities in your case. It can be an enlarge infective parotid gland. Other possibility is enlargement of parotid gland due to sarcoidosis which is very common. In this location pre auricular lymph nodes are also present which can also get infected. In the current scenario when your antibiotic is not responding, you should re visit your doctor and share these information's with him as well. You need a detail physical examination of this area to differentiate above mention possibilities. You may need to go for certain investigations like blood cp and biopsy of bump to reach final diagnosis. Further treatment depends upon the exact diagnosis.

Thanks and do let me know if you need further information regarding this question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I haven't had a sarcoidosis re occurence since it first appeared. Could this signify that sarcoidosis is back or it just happens when you've been through it. My doctor suggested that I go for a biopsy in 10 days if the bump doesn't subside, so I will probably end up doing this because there's not much improvement so far. I forgot to say I had blood tests that didn't show anything abnormal other than white blood cells being a little elevated about (about 11K)

Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 4 years ago.

It can be recurrence as well but i never mean it is the only possibility. It can be a simple bacterial or viral infection which is not responding to your treatment. But yes it would be wise to go for biopsy if it is not showing improvement.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
last question... can sarcoidosis be transmitted with sexual intercourse?
Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 4 years ago.
No it cannot be transmitted through sexual intercourse.