Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Severely jammed or broke pinky toe, slight bruising, but swelling

Severely jammed or broke pinky toe, slight bruising, but swelling goes across toes, atop of foot and up to ankle. How long before swelling goes down?, am hobbling aound but not very far, dropped off at front door to office, 60' to office desk and remain seated til lunch time & a couple trips down the hallway to bathroom (probably 200 feet to walk there & back). Using lots of ice and elevation the evenings, How long before swelling starts going down? Little toe is painful so have been leaning/walking on inside of my foot - is that weight causing the swelling to go up
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question

How long back this happened?
Is swelling continuously increasing?
Are you able to rotate pinky toe up and down?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

48 hours ago

swelling remains around the toes and top of foot. Swelling up to ankle comes and goes

yes, I can take my hand and move the pinky around -- slight movement, slight pain, but it moves. More pain if I step on full foot -- have been leaning weight to inside of foot when walking

It sounds that you may be having soft tissue injury. Usually such symptoms get healed by its own in 4-5 days. You should take Motrin 400mg twice a day and take adequate rest. Keep affected foot elevated.
You can wait for next 24 hours, and if symptoms doesn't improve, then
X-ray of affected part has to be done.

Good luck and take care.
If you have any other questions, please ask them.
Please click Green "ACCEPT" button on this page so that I get credit for my work. Positive Feedback & BONUS are appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have high cholesterol & high blood pressure, both controlled by prescriptions. I thought I was told I could only take Tylenol for pain. Is Motrin in the same family as Tylenol?

Tylenol contains acetaminophen while Motrin has ibuprofen. As you have history of high blood pressure and high cholesterol, so you should take Tylenol, it is pretty safe.

Good luck and take care.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Back up a page or two -- how long will the swelling remain? did you say 4 to 5 days?
Yes, it can take up to 4-5 days. But if the swelling is increasing, then please do not delay and rush to ER.

Good luck and take care.