Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
62460980

I have had a clear liquid come from my anas when I fart. In

I have had a clear liquid come from my anas when I fart. In the past I had e-pil0r disease,but was cured. I also take nexium for acid reflux disease.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 2 years ago.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Hello

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

the clear liquid is likely a mucus that is naturally produced by the lining of you gastrointestinal tract. Has this happened before?

Customer:

I've noticed it has happened two or three times in the last month. Until now it has never happen to my knowledge.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

this would not be associated with your prior h-pilori infection.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

do you ever have constipation alternating with diarrhea or just mucus?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

and do you ever experience pain that is relieved by moving your bowels? those combined can be signs of irritable bowel syndrome of which mucus can be a part, but passing mucus does not definitely mean irritable bowel syndrome.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

My best recommendation would be to increase your fiber intake either by dietary changes or by over-the-counter supplementation. This can help regulate your bowels so that you are more regular. We pass mucus sometimes, and most usually when our gi tract is still doing its natural squeezing but the bowel movements aren't passing as fast as the bowel is squeezing, so intermittently you'll have just mucus passing.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Before making any dietary changes or increasing fiber intake I'd have to say to see your primary care doctor and run your issue by them and ask if they feel fiber would be of benefit to you. They have your full history and can perform a proper physical exam as well as make sure that you are up-to-date on the appropriate cancer screening tests that adults are supposed to have.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

But that would be my recommendation to bring up to your primary care physician and see if they feel that would be of benefit to you. Most likely they'll agree unless there is something important about your history or physical exam that I am not able to know by merit of our internet chatting and its limitations.

Customer:

Yes, I have had a little constipation but nothing sever. I have had a lot of gas lately. In order to has a normal stomach without pain I must eat a snack between meals at about 10:00AM and 3:00PM. If I don't eat a snack between meals I has pain in my stomach and a upset stomach for a couple of days.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Ok, well that may very well be IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

the best advice I can have for you is that getting your bowels regulated is the first step in achieving normality.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

This can be done for some people by increasing their fiber intake, for others though a medication to regulate the speed of your gi tract such as lomotil may need to be added to a diet change. First off however, your primary care doctor as I said would have to physically examine you and possibly test your stool.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

My recommendations would have to be run by your personal doctor for their approval as I can not fully examine you via a chat.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Have you had your colonoscopies?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

That'd be one thing your doctor would most likely want to do before going any further with medical treatment.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Also, considering you have prior ulcer problems given your diagnosis with h-pilori they may want to check out your stomach to see if your nausea may be coming from an upper gastrointestinal issue.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Most people with chronic reflux even if they are on nexium get an upper endoscopy to look for changes of the esophagus from chronic reflux

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

So 1) See your primary - 2) ask regarding medical screening tests you are due for, i.e. colonoscopy, fecal test for occult blood, prostate examination (i know that's not part of your problem, but i'm just listing the screenign you should have regularly unless you've recently done so), blood sugar, blood pressure, fasting cholesterol, ekg, and possibly upper endoscopy if clinically indicated given your history of being on nexium and having an h-pilori infection in the past.

Customer:

I had a colonoscopie 5n years ago. I am do another this year. I've had stomach problem for twenty five years before my doctor recommended the h-pylori test. Then I was put on nexium for two years and my stomach problems clear completely up. My stomach felt the best it had in over 25 years. But about three or four times a year I have a flare up and it feel like gastritis. It takes about four days to clear up. I never get nauusea.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

One important note, just the fact that you have 25 years of stomach problems, you most definitely should have had or should have an endoscopic (camera) evaluation of your esophagus.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

chronic reflux and gastritis can result in cell-type changes of the lining of your esophagus which are a stepping stone on the way to esophageal cancer, these changes are easily seen on endoscopy. Also evaluation of your gastric mucosa (lining) and duodenum (first part of the small intestine) would be of benefit to you given your recurrent gastritis.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

All that, and my very first recommendation of seeing your primary to discuss your passing mucus. Likely things will all check out ok, but it is always good to be safe than sorry. And if all is well, then diet changes such as adding fiber and continuing your nexium may help your first concern out.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

I'm most concerned about having your upper gi-tract investigated by an endoscopy given your long non-treated history of reflux and the fact that you still get gastritis and were verified to have h-pylori in the past.

Customer:

The doctor was going to give me a endoscopy by said since I responded so well to the h-pylori treatment and the nexium medication he didn't think I needed it. I have two physicals a year one freebie for the Veteran Admin and another from my Family Doctor all my numbers are good Cholesterol 189 blood pressure 115 over 75. I also get most of the test you have recommended. The only test I have not gotten has been the endoscopy. And I didn't push it.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

I seriously think the endoscopy would be warranted. Yes your h-pilori was treated, but having disease for upwards of 25 years still could have done damage that persists today. Also, h-pilori infections are not a once and done thing. They will often recolonize the patient's gi tract.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

I obviously can't tell your doctors what to order or not, but from my training and experience I would make sure my father or myself had one given that sort of a history.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

To put it in other words, I don't benefit from you getting an endoscopy other than knowing that I'm helping someone get help of some sort that from my training and experience would be potentially helpful to them. And knowing that I've helped someone is a great part of why I became a physician. I'm an MD, have done internal medicine training and am in my radiology residency. As a radiologist we see all patients, well not always physically but at least their imaging. One imaging modality that is used to look for upper gi issues is fluoroscopy and we deal with those patients face-to-face, conduct the imaging study and then interpret the images. Usually it is 100% a-ok but in my time as a radiologist in training I've seen people who've been diagnosed with an upper gi issue with histories like yours.

Customer:

I agree with you Doc. At the time he recommended a endoscopy I said OK. But whern he said he didn't think I needed one, down deep I though it would be best to do it. But I took the easy way out and didn't push it. I honsely have alway though I had a couple of

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

An endoscopy is the ideal test for that, it is done by your gastroenterologist. Some people opt for a barium swallow study under fluoroscopy (done by a radiologist) because they either can't or don't want to be sedated for an endoscopy. I'd go for an endoscopy personally if tolerable.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

I'm sure your physician would be more than aggreable.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Any more questions?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

I hope I answered your first or at least gave you some information to run with, and I hope I hit a button for you with regard to the upper gi screening given your history

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

25 years is a long time.

Customer:

I will be scheduling a colonoscopy in a couple of months, I will also bite the bullet and get an endoscopy. I know it is the wise thing to do. Thanks for your information. I know you are right on the mark.

Customer:

Cheers,

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

a long time in which changes can occur that could still persist and be treatable if discovered before even more changes happen.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

No problem - have a good night, I've got to get some sleep. Best of luck to you!

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Just wanted to make sure I answered your questions before I left

Customer:

Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience: MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.