Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician
Experience:  MBBS DNB
25843817

Can a sciatica issue cause the knee to swell? And could

Customer Question

Can a sciatica issue cause the knee to swell?

And could sciatica result in a person being able to sit but feel more pain when lying down?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 2 years ago.

skindoctor2000 :

hello

skindoctor2000 :

thanks for using justanswer

skindoctor2000 :

i would be pleased to answer your question

Customer:

I am writing about my mother. She came down with this pain on Saturday and went to the emergency room.

skindoctor2000 :

sciatica cannot result in knee swelling

skindoctor2000 :

due to change in the posture in sitting and lying down , the nerve compression increases and can result in increase in pain

Customer:

Is it out of the ordinary to be able to sit bu not lie down?

skindoctor2000 :

well it can be seen

skindoctor2000 :

it is not out of the ordinary

skindoctor2000 :

change in posture causes change in the level of nerve compression

Customer:

The knee was not swollen before this started but she has had no other injury.

skindoctor2000 :

Knee swelling can be related to any joint inflammation

skindoctor2000 :

it will need to be examined by the doctor

Customer:

Can the swelling come from favoring the leg and/or simply from not using the knee? Especially if there is some arthritis in there?

skindoctor2000 :

Yes arthritis is one of the most common causes of the knee swelling

skindoctor2000 :

it can come from overuse of the knee

Customer:

I only need to know of the two problems can be related. I really don't have any other questions.

skindoctor2000 :

knee swelling and sciatica can be indirectly related

Customer:

OK Thank you.

skindoctor2000 :

Do you accept my thoughts?

Dr. Pravin, Physician
Experience: MBBS DNB
Hello

You should ofcourse meet your doctor as soon as possible. You shouldn't delay seeing the doctor.

Do consider a positive feedback as well .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm never sure how these things work, so I gave it a try.

I can't say the answer didn't help because I feel much better about the question regarding lying down vs. sitting up.

Considering the arthritis and possible stiffness and swelling from lack of use also did help because I didn't think of that.

Those 2 pieces of information helped me decide that there is no cause for further alarm since the initial trip to the emergency room. We will now watch for progress or lack of progress and continue the meds.

I realize doctors have to play it safe because of malpractice, but in the end what I feel I got was someone who was afraid to say it's probably OK and just continue with the meds. I was hoping someone would say something like........."What you're seeing is normal and not cause for additional alarm" or "Those things are totally out of the ordinary and you need to go back to the doc."

thanks .

There is no need to be alarmed about the situation as it is surely normally seen at her age. She needs to be examined well and clinical examination will give more answers.