Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

Hi. I have had pins and needles in my right hand the past couple

Hi. I have had pins and needles in my right hand the past couple of days. Now that sensation has been replaced with a dull ache in my forarm and my middle finger seems to have a horrible Charlie horse that I can't get to go away. Any ideas (other than carpal tunnel) of what this is? The onset was very sudden.

How long the symptoms are there? Is there any other symptom? Is there any swelling, redness? Is there any significant past illness?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had the tingling for the past two days. I just woke up with the ache in my forearm, and what feels like a "frozen" finger. The finger is very painful if I try to force it to bend. No significant past illnesses.
Thank you for the input.

The pins & needles sensation sound like involvement of nerve. This can cause abnormal sensation. It may occur from a number of causes like from trauma or pressure effect on the nerve or pinching of nerve. This can occur in the spine or in the limbs. This can be due to neuropathy. The symptoms can occur in diabetes , thyroid disorders, vitamin deficiency. Sometimes low circulation can cause it. But when there is so much pain that you can not bend it, there can be inflammation of joint or arthritis too. I would advise to get an examination by doctor. X ray, scan, blood metabolic profile, nerve conduction studies can be necessary. Now analgesics with antiinflammatory actions like motrin or naproxen can be taken if there is no contraindication.You need to take it after meal to avoid gastric irritation. If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So, it is probably not a heart attack or something equally scary? I tend to overreact to these types of things. Thanks for all of the info!
It does not sound like heart attack. Here the pain is usually referred to left hand, rarely to right. But it would not cause difficulty to bend the finger.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help. I'm just confused by the sudden onset of the symptoms. And the single, painful finger is really throwing me for a loop. It seems very odd. Any other insight you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I will accept you answers so that you will receive payment. Thanks again.
Pain in one finger can be due to the causes I mentioned before. Spasm or difficulty in bending are more of a musculoskeletal / nerve issue.