khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

My lab results came back ANA titer 1:320 ANA Pattern Nucleolar,

My lab results came back ANA titer 1:320 ANA Pattern Nucleolar, what does this mean to me?
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.
Nucleolar - associated with scleroderma and polymyositis

Scleroderma is a group of rare, progressive diseases that involve the hardening and tightening of the skin and connective tissues — the fibers that provide the framework and support for your body.

Polymyositis is a persistent inflammatory muscle disease that causes weakness of the skeletal muscles, which control movement.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I went to the doctor a few days after I waking up with numbness to my entire right side which diminished to just my right hand. I was also there for yearly check up. He thought he might check for Lupus or MS (because of numbness) and wanted a ANA blood test with the results of anatiter 1:320 Nucleolar.

2 years ago I had the same numbness but on my left side...within weeks all numbness went away so it was believed to have been caused by over extension of arm/nerves resulting in nerve damage. The day before this time on my right side, I was lifting a very heavy object that again my neck and arm was stretched beyond what it should have been. I believe that I have peripheral Neuropathy from injury.

I have no symptoms for Lupus or MS (that I know of) and no other symptoms of Polymyositis or Scleroderma that I have read other than that of this blood work result.

Is ANA titer 1:320 Pattern Nucleolar bad? Does it have symptoms associated with nerve numbness associated with injury?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I write reply again:

Is ANA titer 1:320 Pattern Nucleolar bad? Does it (ANA) have symptoms with nerve numbness associated with injury?

Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.
Only about 11-13% of persons with a positive ANA test have lupus and up to 15% of completely healthy people have a positive ANA test. Thus a positive ANA test does not automatically translate into a diagnosis of lupus or any autoimmune or connective tissue disease. Most people with multiple sclerosis, particularly in the beginning stages of the disease, experience relapses of symptoms, which are followed by periods of complete or partial remission. You could have multiple sclerosis. You should see a neurologist to have tests such as MRI of the brain.
khagihara, Doctor
Experience: Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.