Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I slipped and fell going down my stairs, landing on my bottom.

I slipped and fell going down my stairs, landing on my bottom. I have severe pain in the tailbone area, I felt like I was going to pass out and throw up at the same time, and I have chills. Could this be serious or will it pass?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

you could have a fractured coccyx and this fractured bone could be poking into your bowel causing paralysis of the bowel called ileus and this can cause you to feel like you are going to pass out, and chills and nausea. this is quite serious. you should to to the ER and get a xray of the pelvis and xray of the abdomen to make sure your bowel is not paralyzed (ileus). an abdominal xray can see this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. I don't want to overreact. The feelings of nausea and passing out have passed since the initial injury, but I still have chills and pain in the coccyx area. Also, I was finishing up my period and had stopped bleeding, but since the fall I am bleeding a small amount of bright red blood vaginally. Could this wait until morning and see if there is any improvement? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
if the nausea and passing out symptoms have improved, that is a good sign.

if you have a bowel movement tonight, that would be a good sign that your bowel is not paralyzed.

keep an eye out for blood in your stools.

if you can rest and sleep tonight, that is fine and see how you feel in the morning.

I hope you feel better tomorrow

let me know if you have other questions

if done, please click accept

you can reach me with " a question for Dr. David"

Thanks for using
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If it is a fractured coccyx with no additional problems, like ileus, what would the treatment be?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
we can't cast the pelvis like we cast a broken arm.

pain medications and NSAIDs are used for anti-inflammatories.

stool softeners are used to minimize constipation which can be painful as large hard stools past by the fractured coccyx.

ice on the sacrum or heating pads can help.

injections of local anesthetics into the tailbone are sometimes required for continuing pain.

rarely, the coccyx may be surgically removed