Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

I have had arthroscopic knee surgery in 2008 due to a fall

Customer Question

I have had arthroscopic knee surgery in 2008 due to a fall and torn lateral and medial meniscus. My knee never fully recovered; is still weak, cannot squat or go up/down hills without pain and swelling. It has creaking, popping noises when I bend or straighten it. I can't do many activiites due to this. I recently was told that I need knee replacement, do you think this is my only alternative? Could you let me know how long a replacement will last before I need another-I plan to be active if the knee improves. How long is the full recovery time for this surgery, and what are the potential side effects or disadvantages to knee replacement. Do most people have a full recovery (knee back to full strength, mobility)? I am a healthy 53 year old woman who misses tennis, hiking, etc.
Are there any new alternatives to Knee replacement such as partial, cartilage transplant, etc/
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 2 years ago.

MD Doc :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

MD Doc :

I am sorry to hear about your medical problems

MD Doc :

I understand that you have many concerns and questions regarding knee replacement

MD Doc :

I really cannot comment on whether you do need knee replacement or not,

MD Doc :

but from your description and the history of prior surgery, it appears likely that you may be a good candidate for the same

MD Doc :

Doctors generally try to delay total knee replacement for as long as possible in favor of less invasive treatments. However for patients with advanced joint disease, knee replacement offers the chance for relief from pain and a return to normal activities.

Customer:

Yes, I would like to find out more information before I go ahead with this surgery, such as how long it lasts, is there full recovery, will I have limited mobility or strength. and what are any alternatives

Customer:

thank you,

MD Doc :

The implant can last for decades but it depends on a lot of variables,

MD Doc :

as far as alternatives are concerned, most of these are experimental with limited evidence and the results in advanced disease are not great

MD Doc :

but again this needs to be discussed as per individual case

MD Doc :

The surgery lasts for a couple of hours in most cases,

MD Doc :

and the uncomplicated recovery would be able to make you walk with a cane by about 6 weeks,

MD Doc :

You should be able to do almost everything that you did before,

MD Doc :

contact sports need to be avoided,

MD Doc :

You would need to avoid any activity that may put excessive strain on the joint,

MD Doc :

But tennis, hiking should be alright

MD Doc :

is there anything else that I can assist with ?

Customer:

Is there pain or any unusual sensations with the knee replacement, I mean after full recovery?

MD Doc :

No

Customer:

Thank you,

MD Doc :

After full recovery there is unlikely to be any significant pain

MD Doc :

or unusual sensation

MD Doc :

There may be some restriction of extreme movements but that's generally it

Customer:

Any limited mobility or strength?

Customer:

Thank you!

MD Doc :

Ok

MD Doc :

I would suggest the following links for some additional information

MD Doc :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications

Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience: Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.