Dr. Pauline
Dr. Pauline, Doctor
Experience:  MBChB. BSc(Hons)Pharm
659881

Things are healing and my boil is starting to scab over. My

Customer Question

Things are healing and my boil is starting to scab over. My doctor prescribed Bactrim. I'm taking twice a day 1.5 x 200 mg (I am taking a MAOI - Emsam patch which increases Bactrim's efficacy). I've been taking it since Monday. I've been fatigued, more than I was with the infection alone. I've been having headaches most days even before this due to eye strain.. & I know its common to have a loss of appetite. Today I began to feel nauseated for the first time. & the headache is worse - but not a migraine. I know I have a number of days left with the bactrim. I have no history of allergies to sulfonamides. I'm still able to work, but I feel like I'm moving in slow motion and am exhausted at the end of the day. Its the nausea that is beginning to bother me the most. Is all this common? & so far not easing the longer I'm on the antibiotic?
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other. no answer to question; and I'm not sure why its being sent to an opthamologist
Expert:  Dr. Pauline replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is DrPauline and I am happy to help with your question today.

Nausea with antibiotics is very common and is not usually considered an allergy unless there is rash or swelling too.

It can be unpleasant however you and your doctor need to consider the balance of the side effects (nausea and headache) against the benefit of treating the infection.

In some cases if you feel very unwell then your doctor may add in something for nausea, or may decide to change the antibiotic completely.

You should ensure that you are drinking plenty of fluids and can take simple tylenol to see if this helps the headache.

Have you had any fever?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No fever or rash. I've never felt this exhausted
From an antibiotic and I don't recal nausea before. I do realize I'm on a higher dose than I'm used to. I had this med a couple years ago for a similar staph infection.dr suspects MRSA but lab results are pending.

Hello, sorry for the delay in replying.

With the loss of appetite...what are you eating each day?

Have you had any blood work done...do you know what your hemoglobin is?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Had bloodwork done recently but not hemoglobin.

I'm tryingto drink, I usually stay pretty hydrated and drink a good amount of water. Water just doesn't sound good. I've had a little sprite and some juice and forced down some club soda. Usually something carbonated helps settle my stomach, but not really this time. I'm trying to eat a little something around breakfast, much and dinner. I haven't thrown anything up, just don't have an appetite and nothing sounds good. I take a fair amount of medications and I know it's important to eat something.

How are your bowels..are they normal?

what other medication are you on?

was this simply a localised boil?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The boil is on my face, one large (ping pong ball) with many areas of pus. It inflamed nearby lymph nodes, ear, teeth. It created an unbearable burning on that side of my neck after being very tender to the touch both sides for days. The pain is gone. My dr gave the bactrim because of these symptoms, not the boil itself. He didn't lance it because it was already seeping and because it is on my face. He wanted to have me back ten days after Monday of this week.

So far normal stools, the nausea became significantly whose yesterday (Thursday) so haven't had a movement yet.

Medications: lithium, lamictal, Ativan, synthroid, to toprol xl, florinef, birth control pills, and seroquel at bedtime of needed for sleep. And lortab 10 (1/2 in an and if needed 1/2 pm - I recently decreased this from 3x day for chronic back pain from two auto accidents).

I'm guessing things are ok. The nausea is weird. It reminds me of when I was 13 Anna's placed in birth control pills to break my cycle of producing ovarian cysts. It made me sick as a dog, but didn't feel like regular nausea from the flu orr similar. Just hard to describe. The only difference is that I have it all say instead of only part of the day (yes at 13 it appeared to be mimicking morning sickness). And no I'm not pregnant.

One last thing, I'm on vitamin b12 shots--one a week because I was very low (124) and it was appearing to have significant effects on my vision.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks for the extra information. It is very useful. Bactrim can have an impact on bloodwork, so with the fatigue then you should have repeat full blood count and I would also check your thyroid function if it has not been done for some time.

It is important to keep an eye out for fevers and shivers which might indicate a systemic infection however it does not sound like that yet. Also if you do start having very loose stools then provide your doctor with stool samples to check.

Do ensure that you are using extra precautions if you are sexually active. Evidence for interaction with antibiotics and birth control pills is a bit uncertain but better to be absolutely sure.

Hopefully this should start to pass as you finish the course of the antibiotic, given that your lymph nodes were up then do try and finish the course. Use crushed ice and ice pops as well as your carbonated drinks to keep your fluid limits up.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I'm aware if the antibiotics-birth control effects.

I have a question. I'm a licensed massage therapist and have been for 8 years. I rarely used to get sick. However in the last year I've had 3 sinus infections (antibiotics each time) and a couple colds, etc. I never used to pick up or rarely picked up anything from clients. It seems as though my immune system is weakened. And I'm sure repeated antibiotics probably doesn't help. Is there anything I can do on my own to help boost my immune system? If anything has changed, I've been eating even more healthy than before. I try to take multivitamins. And get massages every 3 weeks. Yes I try to increase my garlic consumption.

Tired of getting sick or infections. And if there is anything I can do..I'm hoping this is the last infection for awhile

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. You need to ensure excellent hand hygeine with each patient, and try to continue with your healthy eating. Multivitamin should include moderate dose of vitamin C and zinc.

You also need regular blood tests to keep an eye on your blood work.

Why have you been prescribed florinef?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Regarding bloodwork and tests. I can try but last year when noone could figure out what was going on.. A couple basic labs were run some things came up a bit off. But no further investigation. Basically I've learned I have to go hours away and even then in lucky to get labs run. Not sure if it's an Alabama thing or an insurance thing. I used to have thyroid levels taken and yes all three levels a minimum of 2 times s year. I'm lucky to get it taken once a year. So even though I'm proactive (ESP on things I've had done in the past) . Ultimately it isn't my choice.

with your medication, especially lithium then ideally you need minimum of annual bloods, including lithium levels so you should check that your insurance covers this. Your local doctor can certainly order tests even if they need to ring for advice on interpretation of results.

Then you should get extra check if you experience period of fatigue or feeling unwell.