Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate

I have knee pain that only occurs at night. It wakes me up

I have knee pain that only occurs at night. It wakes me up every night, sometimes multiple times. During these times it is excruciating and difficult to straighten my leg. It occurs only in my right knee on the outside (right) and about 1 to 2 inches below my patella. I first experienced it on an overnight backpacking trip. I had some mild pain the next day but nothing severe. I never had any swelling or bruising. This has been happening for about 6 weeks now. I am a relatively active 27 year old male (170 lbs).
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Since you are active this sounds like you possible have a medial meniscus tear and I would recommend getting this evaluated with a MRI and if you have this tear it can be corrected/ treated with a 'scope' procedure.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
To help this pain and stiffness you can use over the counter medication such as Motrin Ibuprofen, Advil)) 400 to 600mg every 6 hours to help. This will decrease the inflammation and hopefully not give you the symptoms you are having in the morning.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you