PK
PK, Doctor
Experience:  MD
16173041

I am 46 years old. My stomach has been getting bigger and bigger

I am 46 years old. My stomach has been getting bigger and bigger with no pain. I am not pregnant and have had a menstrual period. I am being treated for high blood pressure. I have went from 130 lbs to 160lbs since January of this year. It has only been 4 mths but it feels like it is forever, since none of my clothes look right. I plan to see a gastroenterologist, can you give me some suggestions to what this could be.
Category: Medical
Expert:  PK replied 2 years ago.

PK :

Hello

PK :

Welcome to just answer

PK :

I am sorry to hear of your discomfort

PK :

Please enter the chat

PK :

Do you have any other complaints apart from the abdominal distension ?

PK :

Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?

PK :

I am here to answer you

PK :

Please answer the questions above so that it can help me understand your situation better .

PK :

Thank you

Customer:

no i just recently started getting bloated. This seems exceptionally unusual. I thought it was a curse.

PK :

As you have this sudden distension of the abdomen this does warrant a check

PK :

There could be a few reasons that could cause this .

PK :

This can be caused as a result of increased fat and also due to other reasons like fluid accumulation in the abdomen

Customer:

what causes the fluid in the abdomen

PK :

Investigations like a complete blood count that should also check for your thyroid hormone levels along with an ultrasound or CT scan of your abdomen will help investigate this further .

PK :

Fluid accumulation can be caused due to disease processes associated with abdominal organs

PK :

As you have the bloating you can use a liquid like maalox available over the counter to help the bloating

PK :

SO please discuss the points I mentioned with your doctor .

Customer:

i guess it is bloating my stomach hangs over my pants and is extremely big.

PK :

In that case too you need to get a complete blood check .

PK :

This will also help recognize the cause of this problem

PK :

IN the meantime you should avoid fatty and oily food

PK :

Avoid red meat as well

Customer:

i look like im pregnant.

PK :

YOu should be on a light diet like fruits and vegetables

PK :

If you do look like you are pregnant then you should get the investigations I mentioned at the earliest so that we know what we are dealing with here

Customer:

i will change my diet until I make my GI appt.

PK :

Yes please be on a light diet and do exercise regularly as well

PK :

I wish your all the best and great health
Take care and god bless.

I hope this answers you and helps you with your apprehensions.
Do let me know if you have any further doubts or any clarifications.
Please click on the green accept button if this answers you as it is only then that will I be credited for my work.
Thank you

PK :

DO let me know if you need further clarifications

PK :

Please hit accept in order to accept the answer

PK :

Thank you

PK, Doctor
Experience: MD
Expert:  PK replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.