Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate

I have a red bump on my upper lip. It appeared yesterday, it

I have a red bump on my upper lip. It appeared yesterday, it is small, reddish, no head, a little sore to touch. I do not have a fever, it is not warm itself. I have had fever blisters in the past but the behavior is different. At first I thought that it was a fever blister started normal treatment of Valtrex (2 Grams morning & 2 Grams 12 hours later) & topic Denavir cream. But at this point I don't think it is a fever blister as it still looks the same & isn't following the normal response to treatment. I did have a new sexual partner three days ago that had a questionable bump, when I inquired after noticing and unfortunately already coming into contact, I was assured it wasn't STD but I don't believe it at this point. I am not sure what to do. I don't know what to put on it, if I should go to a medical doctor or a dermatologist. I fear that it might be a wart but really don't know if that or something else. It is the only other bump I can think of but I really am not sure how to determine or what is the appropriate next step, treatment, etc.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.Well if this was a wart it would have not appeared overnight and most likely this is a herpes virus blister as they can appear differently on your body many Times, so honestly what you are doing is appropriate, and If you want to know for sure have your doctor do a herpes virus culture, and any doctor can do this.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, if you have additional questions please ask,
Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As odd as it may sound, I hope that it is a herpes blister, I really don't want anything else to deal with. Could there be other STDs in play? If I were to get a culture, is that like a swab over the bump?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Honestly in the US this would not be any other problem, and yes this is a swab over the blister.
Please click on ACCEPT, THANK YOU