Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

The back of my knee hurts and is swollen. About 2 weeks ago,

The back of my knee hurts and is swollen. About 2 weeks ago, I started to feel a tightness with discomfort in the back of my knee while doing aerobics. It went away for a few days but I noticed that my knee would be very stiff and hurt when i straightened it. Now, after my last class the back of my knee was painful and very tight when I tried to straighten it and I would have keep moving my leg so it would not tighten. Now when I sit and try to stand, I can barely put weight on my leg and the back of my knee is swollen and painful. I dread trying to stand and walk because I'm limping and in pain. What did I do to my knee and what do I do to help it?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Since this occurred while performing a vigorous activity such as aerobics this could be due to a tendinous injury to either the semimembranosus or the biceps femoris or an injury to one of the bursae in the knee. But a Baker's cyst should be ruled out.
The first thing to do is to avoid any vigorous activities on the knee and to give it some rest.
Elevation over two pillows while you lie down and on a small couch, foot rest or a stool while you sit down is vital for the swelling to go down.
Wear a knee brace to reduce the swelling and ice packs should be applied for 15 to 20 mins four to five times a day on the back of the knee.
You should start on an anti inflammatory pain killer like Ibuprofen 600 mg thrice daily and massage the whole knee with Motrin or Brufen Liquigel four times a day gently.
Avoid using a heating pad at this point in time because it can worsen the swelling and the inflammation.
An MRI needs to be done for the knee after the inflammation and the swelling has gone down to evaluate if this is a tendinous injury or inflammation of a bursa.
The treatment is usually the same as I mentioned, conservative.
Stretching exercises while the knee is swollen and inflammed can aggravate the symptoms so, you should avoid those at this point in time as well.
A review by an Orthopaedic Surgeon along with a clinical examination will be vital if the symptoms do not improve or get worse over the next couple of days.
Hope this helps.
Please click ACCEPT to credit this assist.
A bonus and a positive feedback will be appreciated.