Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

Now for 3-4 weeks i go to bed at night ,no trouble falling

Now for 3-4 weeks i go to bed at night ,no trouble falling asleep but like clockwork i awake usually after one hour with severe headache which pain starts in rt temple area around to side and to my neck ,pain in face & jaw, medication = Aleve ,sinutab, asa , will not stop the pain , i do get some relief from ice pack, what is the root cause of my pain .
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Sohaib :

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. You need to answer a few questions which will help me assist you in a better way.

Dr. Sohaib :

How severe is the pain on a scale of 1 to 10?

Dr. Sohaib :

Is this associated with nausea, vomiting, blurred vision?

Customer:

it's about an 8

Customer:

no

Dr. Sohaib :

Okay. Thanks for the valuable Input. First- a headache that wakes someone from sleep is generally not your average headache.

Dr. Sohaib :

The kinds of headache that can do this are called cluster HAs. They usually come on one side of the head, associated with nasal congestion, eye tearing, and they follow a pattern (occur episodically and can wake you at night).

Dr. Sohaib :

Have a look at this link;

Dr. Sohaib :

Other kinds of headache like migraine, tension headache, vasculitis (giant cell arteritis), etc all should be considered as well.

Dr. Sohaib :

you should see a neurologist at earliest for a clinical evaluation and subsequent management.

Dr. Sohaib :

This may require medicine other than plain NSAID's such as muscle relaxants. Tests like X-rays of the spine to look for a possible pinched nerve, fundoscopy and CT of the brain may also be required.

Dr. Sohaib :

Neurologist is the right person to get proper help here; and this should be done now as over the counter and home remedies have failed to eradicate this problem.

Dr. Sohaib :

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

Dr. Sohaib :

Kindest Regards XXXXX XXXXX luck.

It was a pleasure assisting you. If my answer was helpful, Please Click ACCEPT button to give me Credit.
Please do not forget to leave a POSITIVE FEEDBACK which will be highly appreciated.