Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.

I am having pain underneath my lower rib cage on both sides,

Customer Question

I am having pain underneath my lower rib cage on both sides, worse on the right. It seems to be worse when I take deep breaths. The pain is more constant but not sharp, more dull and uncomfortable. Sometimes throbbing especially after a deep breath. Uncomfortable to lay on my back. I was at a party last night and had quite a few drinks. Not enough to vomit or pass out though. That's the only difference in lifestyle and diet. What could it be????
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 4 years ago.

Your symptoms suggest that you are suffering from acute cholecystitis - inflammation of teh gallbladder.

Acute cholecystitis usually occur due to presence of gallstones. It can flare up after taking greasy or fried food or after alcohol.

The pain can also be due to acute gastritis but cholecystitis is more common.

Please take Prevacid tablets to decrease the acid secretion in the stomach.

Please consult your doctor for an abdominal ultrasound.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask a followup question if necessary. If not, please click the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it serious enough to go to the hospital?
If the pain decreases after the Prevacid, you can wait to consult your doctor later. If it increases or remains the same you will need to go to the hospital. If you cannot get a prevacid now, please go to the ER.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have been like this all day, should I see if it gets better by morning? Will tums work?
If it has been like this the whole day, then yes, you can wait and see if it gets better.

Tums will work if it due to gastritis. But will not help in cholecystitis. What you can do is take an Ibuprofen 200mg 30 minutes after the Tums. That should help decrease the pain of cholecystitis.