Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Is propoxyphene HCL still available? or has it been withdrawn

Is propoxyphene HCL still available? or has it been withdrawn from the market?
No, propoxyphene HCL is not available on the market either in Europe or USA.

Propoxyphene was first introduced as Propoxyphene HCL, but this caused a fatality. It was then introduced as Propoxyphene napsylate but even this had toxic effects, and finally as dextropropoxyphene.

Dextropropoxyphene was sold in combination with paracetamol as Darvon and Darvocet for a long time, but this too was finally banned on November 19, 2010.

Still available on prescription in Australlia though.

Hope this helps.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer if you have been helped (or click on a 'smiley' feedback if there is no accept button). Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated. Do not hesitate to ask further questions if you need more info.
With regards,
Dr. P.Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Was it withdrawn because of cardiac arrythmias? or ?
Cardiac arrhythmias was an important concern along with other toxicities.

But the main concern, on which several consumer groups launched a campaign against it, was its tendency to cause a higher rate of suicides.

With regards,
Dr. P.Jyoti, MD.