Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

my ra factor is 8 what does this mean

my ra factor is 8 what does this mean
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

A rheumatoid factor test measures the amount of rheumatoid factor in your blood. which are proteins produced by your immune system that can attack your normal cells.

High levels of rheumatoid factor in the blood are most often associated with autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis and Sjogren's syndrome.

Results are usually reported in one of two ways:

Less than 40-60 u/mL or

Less than 1:80 (1 to 80) titer

A low number (normal result) usually means you do not have rheumatoid arthritis or Sjogren syndrome. If your results are 8 u/ml, then that is a low level and it means that most likely you don't have rheumatoid arthritis or Sjogren's syndrome.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My Dr. told me appox 10yr.s ago I have ra. They put me on methotrexate. The other numbers on my test results that I wondered about were the sed rate 0f 8, bun/creat ratio 37.1 and alt of 35 ?

sed rate is a lab test which shows inflammation in the body. normal levels are between 0-20.

BUN/Creat radio is not as important is normal BUN and Creatine levels themselves which reports on the function of your kidney.

ALT of 35 is pretty much a normal liver enzyme level. AST and ALT are the two liver enzymes which are watched for liver function. 35 is normal ALT.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry to be so pesty , why the methotrexate ? I had surgery last June so I quit taking it .I see my Dr. next week should I ask her why she thinks I have RA I am worried about taking medication I dont need :(
methotrexate is a chemotherapy agent which is used to treat patients with rheumatoid arthritis. the idea is that low doses of methotrexate can suppress the immune system which is attacking your body. if you had test 10 years ago showing you have RA, you most likely have RA. you can ask for RA testing again. RA factor can change with therapy. so a low RA factor now does not mean you don't have RA.