Dr  Jones
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.

I have a compression fracture of the L4 and want to know when it is safe to resume sexual

I have a compression fracture of the L4 and want to know when it is safe to resume sexual activity and how to do this safely?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 2 years ago.

Dr Jones :

Hello

Dr Jones :

Welcome to justanswer.

Dr Jones :

Was it post-traumatic fracture?

Dr Jones :

Was MRI done?

Customer:

Yes- I did it two weeks ago- a trampoline accident. MRI and CAT scans were done.I was told I had a compression fracture of about 30% of the L4. No surgery was needed. I have been advised to wear the brace for 8 weeks minimum and no exercise.

Dr Jones :

With those details I guess you should restrain sexual activities.

Dr Jones :

Compressed vertebra can be unstable in alignment.

Dr Jones :

Any exercise or physical activity can lead to further mal-alignment and there can be compression of nerves.

Customer:

Thanks for this Does that mean no sex for the 8 weeks? I wasn't planning on it but when I start to resume exercise I am wondering is this the time I can consider sex also? and if so, what would be safe? I can't find any information on this and wonder where I cam get the best advise? a Physio?

Dr Jones :

So ideally you should any sprain on your back atleast for 8-10 weeks.

Dr Jones :

Appropriate approach would be to get a check xray or if needed scan after 8-10 weeks to see for healing.

Dr Jones :

Once sufficient healing has occurred you can taken up physical activities slowly initially.

Dr Jones :

Then as body permits you can increase activities and start sexual activities.

Dr Jones :

You can get best advise if you see a spine specialist in person.After clinical evaluation and going through findings of MRI doctor can advise or make tailored protocol for you.

Dr Jones :

Physiotherapy would be useful but in later stages once some healing has occurred.

Dr Jones :

Please ask if you want me to explain anything.

Dr Jones :

Are you there?

Customer:

ok great. Thanks for this. I will do f/u x-rays in a month to see how I am healing. I was also going to see a physio to check on safe exercise to do when I am able. Exercise was part of my daily routine prior to the accident- swimming, running, ballet, flying trapeze and trampoline. I am fit and healthy and healing quickly- already walking without frame and good flexibility and gait. I understand I need to do the healing time for my bone to reset and won't look into any exercise until the xray and the full 8 weeks is passed. I am guessing swimming will be the first thing I can resume. I will take it slowly as this seems to be the main thing.

Customer:

I intend to have the same physical and sexual life I had prior to this accident and understand that I should be able to if I let myself heal well now.

Dr Jones :

Yes, the approach you have decide is ideal and appropriate.

Dr Jones :

Yes, you can surely resume all activities after healing.

Customer:

Thanks -this is encoraging- appreciated!

Customer:

encouraging I meant

Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience: MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.