Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

I suffer from depression, Im having trouble dealing with

I suffer from depression, I'm having trouble dealing with my 15 year old son. Lat month I had a big argument with my husband and I got pushed and got hurt. I was the first and only time this has happened but both of my sons witnessed it. I sent my oldest to stay with my sister for a few week till things settle down. Now his been there for a month and does want to come home. He says he happy there and doesn't want to come back. We also had problems with him before the incident. Now I want him to come back home he doesn't want to. He tells my sister he had no family life, that me and my husband argued all the time and we blame him for the birth of his brother. I'm not a perfect partent but I alway made sure he got what he needed and more. I just don't kn.ow what to do. Let him go, make him come back and treth ne with I'm going to move out when I'm 16 years old. I'm have alot of trouble with dealing with the situation. I just don't know how to deal with it. I'm so confused.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 2 years ago.

MD Doc :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

MD Doc :

I believe that without having a detailed psychological evaluation it would be premature for me to comment regarding the specifics of your situation,

MD Doc :

However, here are a few things that I would recommend

MD Doc :

1. Get evaluated and treated properly for your depression, you really cannot make anyone happy without being satisfied yourself,

MD Doc :

2. At present it may be appropriate to let your son stay where he is, till you are yourself feeling better,

MD Doc :

3. Work on yourself, your relationship with your spouse, and your kids, preferably in this order ....

MD Doc :

Once your fights with your spouse reduce, ask your son to come over, without any preconceived agreement regarding him moving back,

MD Doc :

if he feels more secure/ happy, then he is likely to consider getting back / or at least your communication / interaction with him will improve, which is what we want,

MD Doc :

I believe that the key remains your own evaluation and treatment for depression,

MD Doc :

You must (in addition to medications) consider regular exercise, healthy diet, and relaxing hobbies, and friend / family members that you can get back too for support,

MD Doc :

since this will help in you getting better & staying that way in the long run :)

MD Doc :

....

Customer:

I can't afford to go see a spychologist and there is a waiting list to go see a spychiatrist. I don't know exactly what is wrong with me. I was taking meds but quite all of them. I also told my son that I would like to do some family therapy but doesn't even want to talk to me much.

MD Doc :

Ok

MD Doc :

So how do you want us to proceed here

MD Doc :

I have provided some specific tips that may help manage depression,

MD Doc :

Let me provide you with some links to excellent resources online that will help you fight depression without resorting to drugs,

MD Doc :

But please remember, for severe depression drugs are very much needed along with professional help too,

MD Doc :

Let me know if these help,

MD Doc :

and please get back for any clarifications,

MD Doc :

All the best, XXXXX XXXXX wishes are with you !

MD Doc :

Remember tough times don't last, tough people do.....

MD Doc :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications

Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience: Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.