Dr Khan
Dr Khan, Doctor
Experience:  MB, MRCP(UK), MCPS(Medicine)

Is a glucose level of 124 high, did not fast?

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Khan replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JA
Thank you very much for your question and coming to this service
Do you have any symptoms?
just to confirm that these are from a random sample?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No Symptoms, just the regular checkup sample taken when I go in for my blood presure meds
Expert:  Dr Khan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reply
Blood sugar levels of 124mg/dl in random sample (Regardless of when you last ate) is normal
A random sample reading of 200mg/dl and above with symptoms defines diabetes
However in fasting sample(after at least 8 hrs of fats), 124 is abnormal and is in prediabetes category
In your case random reading of 124mg/dl is not high
Let me know if any further queries
Best Regards
Dr Khan, Doctor
Experience: MB, MRCP(UK), MCPS(Medicine)
Expert:  Coachrobmd replied 2 years ago.
If you are concerned about Diabetes, you can always ask your Primary Care Physician (PCP) for an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT), a series of blood tests that takes two hours to complete (you generally bring a book and sit in the lab between blood draws at time zero, 1/2 hour, one hour, and 2 hours) and is done after an 8-12 hour complete fast. This is the definitive way currently to establish a diagnosis.

A fasting glucose off 111-125 is considered pre-diabetes, meaning you are at a risk for developing DM later in life. Your Primary Care Physician (PCP) can provide counseling about things you can do to decrease that risk.

=================
Is this the answer you're looking for? If so, please click ACCEPT so I can receive credit for my answer. If not, could you please clarify your question so I can try further? Thank you so much. (This does not replace a physician visit.)