Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

What can cause sudden swelling of the jawbone area on one side about the size of a half do

What can cause sudden swelling of the jawbone area on one side about the size of a half dollar. It happened about 2 hours ago. I was eating. It then went away. I was just eating and it happened again, lasted for about 10 minutes and is almost gone now? Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question

It is possible that a stone blocking a duct in a saliva gland, has caused swelling. Such swelling get resolve after eating, and comes back once you eat. Also Infection from teeth, most commonly lower back teeth can cause such swelling.Other possibility could be peridontal abscess.
If untreated for long periods of time, this can result in large swelling of the face.
You will be prescribed with anti inflammatory medication and antibiotics like Amoxycillin.

I advise that you should not delay and rush to ER ASAP for prompt treatment.
Good luck and take care.

If you have any other questions, please ask them.
Please click Green "ACCEPT" button on this page so that I get credit for my work. Positive Feedback & BONUS are appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much. If it is a stone blocking the duct in a saliva gland, does that resolve itself? Because when I started to eat I had a very strong sour taste, almost bitter, on that side of my mouth near the swelling origin.
Most stones that cause symptoms will not go away unless they come out or are removed. You may requiring, Gentle probing or Therapeutic sialendoscopy( use of endoscope to grab the stone and pull it out).

Good luck and take care.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you again. What is a stone and how would it come out naturally?

Thank you for kind words. The chemicals in saliva can sometimes crystallise into a stone that can then block the salivary ducts.
X-ray should be done for diagnosis. Only after diagnosis, your doctor can take it out with procedures.
I hope this helps.

Please click Green "ACCEPT" button on this page so that I get credit for my work.
Positive Feedback & BONUS are appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My last question and that you very much Dr. Robert. This is quite the odd experience. Once again, the swelling is completely gone. Should I call my general practitioner or can my dentist handle this?
I suggest that you should call your dentist and get it managed.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician