Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.

My normal body temperature is between 97.2 and 97.6. For 2

My normal body temperature is between 97.2 and 97.6. For 2 weeks now I have had a lowgrade temp of 98.6- 98.9. It is accompanied by weakness, fatigue and mild headache. I've had a very occasional slight dry cough and stuffy nose but no other symptoms. I'm able to function ok but without much energy. I rested for a week on vacation but nothing has changed. Will this pass in time or is it indicitive of some unseen infection my body may be fighting?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Average body temperature is 98.6 F. However it does vary with individual. In your case mildly raised temperature with weakness/ fatigue and headache indicates that there is some infection focus within your body.

Stuffy nose likely indicates the site of infection. The cause is generally viral. However bacterial infection needs to be ruled out as the symptoms have persisted for 2 weeks now. Dry cough likely indicates irritation of the throat due to post nasal drip.

I would get few investigations like throat swab/ x ray chest and sinuses/ blood tests to get more answers. You may need antibiotic course to get rid of bacterial infection if any.

Till than - warm water gargles {with pinch of salt}/ steam inhalation and Motrin should relieve you. Hot fluids {Chicken soup} does wonders. Avoid alcohol, smoking. Have balanced diet, adequate fluid.

Wish you well.

Good luck
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Let me know if you want me to explain anything in more details.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can I just ignore this and it will go away in time? Without insurance I am trying to avoid prescriptions, tests and doctor visits. Should I just completely rest or keep pushing through my schedule as I feel able?

Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

I do understand the insurance issue.

These links may help:

Our body has inbuilt mechanism to fight infections. If out immunity is good than body generally takes care of mild infections on its own.

Few signs should prompt medical evaluation - If symptoms go worse/ if symptoms do not vanish in a week from now.