khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

Is it safe to eat cold poached salmon in pregnancy

Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.
If it is cooked well with heat, it is safe to eat it. Cook fish to an internal temperature of 145 F (63 C). The fish is done when it separates into flakes and appears opaque throughout. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) say pregnant women can safely eat up to 12 ounces (340 grams) of seafood a week. Similarly, the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend 8 to 12 ounces of seafood a week for pregnant women — or about two average meals. Salmon is low in mercury. Though mercury can harm a developing baby's brain, eating average amounts of seafood containing low levels of mercury during pregnancy hasn't been shown to cause problems. And the omega-3 fatty acids in many types of fish — especially salmon and tuna — can promote healthy cognitive development.
Avoid large, predatory fish. To reduce your exposure to mercury, don't eat shark, swordfish, king mackerel or tilefish.
Avoid raw fish and shellfish. To avoid ingesting harmful bacteria or viruses, avoid raw fish and shellfish — especially oysters and clams — and anything you know was caught in polluted water. Refrigerated smoked seafood, such as lox, also is off-limits.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok so if salmon is cooked can I eat it cold - like in a salad with mayo
Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you can.
khagihara, Doctor
Experience: Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.