Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate
18703594

I was given a Kenalog 40 injection 3 days ago for sinus symptoms

I was given a Kenalog 40 injection 3 days ago for sinus symptoms (nasal stuffiness, facial/tooth pain, cough at night, sore throat, nasal discharge and phlegm. Temp was 99.2. That afternoon I developed complete laryngitis and temp rose to 99.8. Have continued having the discharge, phlegm, laryngitis, nasal stuffiness, and cough. Sore throat and pain is gone. Temp went up to 100.8 by the next evening and has now gone to 99.3. I didn't know that the injection they were giving me was a steroid that from what I have read is slowly released over a period of weeks. I'm really worried because I know that a long term steroid therapy can cause immune system depression. I was working in the garden with composted materials when the severe effects came on (I had been having hay fever type issues for couple of previous weeks), so I'm personally concerned that there could be a fungal aspect, and of course reading on the internet and the side effect of Kenalog will scare you to death with the aspect of immune suppression with a fungal infection. Is 1 injection of Kenalog enough to be considered a long term treatment of steroids? do I need to be worried about immune suppression with this injection?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
You do not need to worry about a one time injection of kenalog - this will not decrease your immune system from functioning properly as you will not be getting steroids daily so you can be assured that you will not get a fungal infection due to the steroid use.
The steroid was given to decrease the inflammation - that is all.
I hope this reassures you and please click on ACCEPT and if you have follow up questions, please ask
thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've received decadron shots years ago which seemed to help more than this one and the doc said it was a short term shot (would only ast a few days). how long can i expect the kenalog to stay in my system?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
The kenalog will be out of your system within 1 to 2 weeks - so it is short term and will NOT affect your health at all.
Decadron is similar to Kenalog.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT and if you have follow up questions, please ask
thank you
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate