Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities

The inside of my cheek is swollen. I first noticed something

The inside of my cheek is swollen. I first noticed something felt odd about 8 hours ago, went to bed, then awoke with obvious swelling, some redness when I look inside my mouth. What could it be?

Welcome to Just Answer
Sorry to hear about your problem.

Do you have pain in the affected area as well?

If yes, how severe on a scale of 1 to 10?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Discomfort but no real pain. It just feels tight and is raised and red inside my mouth and obviously swollen from the outside.

Thanks for the input.

Well, there are a number of reasons for you to have this sudden swelling of the cheek.

• Infection
  • Injury (that can occur during chewing of food also)
  • Cysts
  • Allergies
  • Cellilitis
  • Dental Infections

Right now, you can take Motrin or Aleve (non-steroid anti-inflammatory drug---NSAID) to reduce pain and swelling.

Ice packs application to the affected area will also help, and see how you respond to these measures.

If the swelling/pain does not improve, persists, or gets worse, go to your doctor and have this examined physically to determine the exact underlying cause for this, which will direct a specific and targetted management plan; such as antibiotics for infection.

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

Kindest Regards XXXXX XXXXX luck.

It was a pleasure assisting you. If my answer was helpful, Please Click ACCEPT button to give me Credit.
Please do not forget to leave a POSITIVE FEEDBACK which will be highly appreciated.