Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

my mouth has gone numb and my taste buds have lost much of

my mouth has gone numb and my taste buds have lost much of thier ability to taste. I drule constantly. I have been to numerous DR's with no ideas fo what's going on. Did a MRI looking for tumors in my face or head -nothing have recently tried acupuncture and some mild electrical shock to the neck and cheeks but nothing seems to work. Have tried Chelation tratment and still no help Any ideas. Can handle the numbness but the drueling is driving me nuts. Hugh H XXXXXX

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 2 years ago.

The sensations from the mouth as well as taste sensation from the anterior 2/3rds of the tongue are carried by the Facial nerve. The muscles around the mouth as well as the salivary glands are also controlled by this nerve.

So any damage to this nerve - by inflammation or by tumors can cause the symptoms you have - drooling, numbness of the mouth and loss of taste sensation.

Facial paralysis is often due to Bell's palsy, a condition in which the facial nerve becomes inflamed. The facial nerve enters the face at a point just above the ear and pressure on the nerve at this point by conditions like TMJ (temperomandibular joint) inflammation can also cause inflammation of the nerve.

Rarely, a stroke can damage the area of the brain that sends signals to the muscles of the face.

Please consult a neurologist - you will need tests to check the facial nerve.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A CC OF THIS ANSWER AND TAKE IT TO MY DR. IS THAT OK?
Yes, of course you can make a copy of this answer - it is yours.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MBBS.MD