Dr  Jones
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.
27521838

I have a large fatty tumor on my buttocks right about seat bone site but a little to the i

I have a large fatty tumor on my buttocks right about seat bone site but a little to the inside. It is probably about the size of a baseball now. It is very visible even through my clothes and I am afraid that is putting pressure on muscles and nerves. A PT told me that I should see a specialist just in case it does involve muscle tissue or nerve. I do not know who to contact and I am very embarrassed by it. Also, I am a horse back rider and I afraid that that will cause more damage to tissue or worse, that I will have to stop.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 2 years ago.

Dr Jones :

Hello

Dr Jones :

Welcome to justanswer.

Dr Jones :

Are there any symptoms associated with this tumor?

Customer:

The tumor itself is not painful but I am having trouble with pain and stiffness in my hip and also that leg.

Dr Jones :

It is very likely that you have a lipoma , that is fat containing tumor.Such tumor are generally harmless.

Dr Jones :

You can see a surgeon to get it removed.

Customer:

I asked my ob/gyn about it two (2) times when it was small and she advised me to ignore it because removing it would be painful and leave scar tissue. It has since grown very large.

Dr Jones :

I dont think removal of this tumor can affect horse riding.

Dr Jones :

Yes, most doctor don't advise removal of such tumor since they are harmless.

Customer:

Would an MRI show if there was any nerve or muscle involvement?

Dr Jones :

Only their size can cause symptoms and in such cases they need to be removed.

Dr Jones :

Yes, MRI would be ideal investigation to know the involvement.

Customer:

Is there a specialist I should contact?

Dr Jones :

A general surgeon can easily handle this.

Dr Jones :

Please ask if you want me to explain anything.

Dr Jones :

If there is nothing else you want me to explain I request you to click ACCEPT.

Please take out some time to post a POSITIVE FEEDBACK.

Thank you. God bless.

If there are follow up questions please feel free to ask.

Customer:

OK, thank you very much.

Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience: MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.