Dr.David
Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS
6554558
Medical

Does TMJ cause glands to be painful and swollen? I get stinging

Does TMJ cause glands to... Show More
Does TMJ cause glands to be painful and swollen? I get stinging pains, besides constant pain. Regular GP said it is probably TMJ--I want to be sure it isn't more, but he was not listening very carefully.
Hello
Welcome to the just answer website. I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:

Since how long this pain?
Since how long enlarged lymph nodes/glands?
Any history of recent infection?
Any history of recent fever?

Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

1. Three years, approx. Pain is increasing. Seems to involve saliva glands at times.

2. Three years, approx.

3. No--but may have a tooth absess too.

4. No

Extra info: There is a seemingly unrelated growth (like a skin flap) on the roof of my mouth. It grows very slowly, and seems about the same time frame for its start. Dentist thought maybe papiloma--doctor agrees but will not remove. Must go to a specialist to remove it.

Yes, the symptoms of enlarged glands you are having is most likely due to TMJ disorder.Popping, or grating sounds in the jaw joint when opening or closing the mouth (which may or may not be accompanied by pain) is an important symptom of TMD(Temporomandibular disorders (TMD).

Lymph node infection is called Lymphadenitis.Lymphadenitis is an infection and inflammation of one or more of the lymph nodes and usually results from an infection that begins near a lymph node.As the root cause that is TMJ will be treated,the enlarged glands will be subsided by itself.For pain relief, take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can get credit for my work & assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Regards-
Dr.David
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

It seems very unusual to me that a gland would remain infected for three years without either healing or turning to something more serious. The area involved has spread. What do you think?

Also, I am not aware of clicking or grating. Is that symptom usually present in TMJ?

TMJ disorders are a variety of conditions that cause tenderness and pain in the temporomandibular joint (TMJ).The typical symptoms of any type of TMD include pain localised to the area or spreading to include aching of the face, neck and head, and sometimes unusual clicking or grinding noises when the jaw opens and closes.TMJ can indirectly lead onto dental abscess.

Lymph node infection is called Lymphadenitis.It is a common complication of certain bacterial infections such as streptococcus or staphylococcus.A biopsy and culture of the affected area or node may reveal the cause of the inflammation.The dental abscess seems to be the most probable cause.

Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) may be done.In this technique, a thin, hollow needle is inserted into the mass/lump to extract cells that will be examined under a microscope. based on this the exact diagnosis can be made.

Also please do not forget to click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can get credit for the time & assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Regards-
Dr.David
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
My last concern is the skin flap I mentioned, growing in the roof of my mouth for approx. the same amount of time. (It is slightly painful [right where it attaches] when I palpate it with my tongue. Do you think these things are possibly all related?
Yes,most likely this can be due to papilloma & yes,they all seem to be related with an underlying cause as TMJ.Papilloma is slow-growing, soft lesions that are sometimes caused by a virus.Conservative surgical excision including the base of the lesion is adequate treatment for papilloma, and recurrence is unlikely.So I advice you to consult the specialist for the surgical removal.

Till now you have not clicked the green accept button.So please do not forget to click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can get credit for the time & assisting you.

BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Regards-
Dr.David