911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

Do OTC remedies work for Menieres disease (vertigo, slight

Do OTC remedies work for Meniere's disease (vertigo, slight ringing in ear)? Thanks!
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

I'm sorry, there is ABSOLUTELY NO evidence that any over the counter medicine works for Meniere's.

THIS LINK HERE is great, it's from the mayo clinic and is written for patients. Towards the bottom you will see recommendations on home care and remedies that might be tried.

And to quote from the Mayo article the relevant portion for you....

"

Lifestyle and home remedies

Certain self-care tactics can help reduce the impact of Meniere's disease. Consider these tips for use during an episode:

• Sit or lie down immediately when you feel dizzy. During an episode of vertigo, avoid things that can make your signs and symptoms worse, such as sudden movement, bright lights, watching television or reading.
  • Rest during and after attacks. Don't rush to return to your normal activities.
  • Be aware of the possibility of losing your balance. Falling could lead to serious injury. Use good lighting if you get up in the night. Consider walking with a cane for stability if you experience chronic balance problems.
  • Avoid driving a car or operating heavy machinery if you experience frequent episodes of vertigo. Doing so could lead to an accident and injury.

Dietary changes
Modifying your diet can reduce your body's fluid retention and help decrease fluid in your inner ear. Your doctor may suggest you follow these dietary changes to lessen the severity and frequency of Meniere's disease symptoms:

• Eat regularly. Distributing evenly what you eat and drink throughout the day helps regulate your body fluids. Eat approximately the same amount of food at each meal. You may also eat five or six smaller meals rather than three meals a day.
  • Limit salt. Consuming foods and beverages high in salt can increase fluid retention. Aim for an intake of 1,500 milligrams (mg) or less of sodium each day.
  • Avoid monosodium glutamate (MSG). Some prepackaged food products and prepared restaurant foods contain MSG, a type of sodium. MSG can contribute to fluid retention. Check ingredient labels or ask your restaurant server if the food you're considering ordering contains MSG.

Other lifestyle changes
Some evidence suggests that lifestyle factors may worsen symptoms of Meniere's disease or act as triggers for the onset of symptoms. Your doctor may recommend the following changes to alleviate symptoms or help prevent the onset of symptoms.

• Avoid caffeine. Foods and beverages that contain caffeine, such as chocolate, coffee, tea and certain soft drinks, have stimulant properties that can make symptoms worse. For instance, caffeine may make ringing in the ear (tinnitus) louder.
  • Stop smoking. Avoiding nicotine may lessen the severity of Meniere's disease symptoms.
  • Manage stress and anxiety. It's difficult to know whether stress and anxiety act as triggers for Meniere's disease symptoms or are the result of having the disorder. Some evidence suggests, however, that managing stress and anxiety may lessen the severity of symptoms and enable you to cope with the disorder. Professional psychotherapy may help you identify stressors and develop strategies for dealing with stress and anxiety. Medications to alleviate anxiety also may be beneficial.
  • Avoid allergens. Some reports note an association between allergies and Meniere's disease. Controlling your exposure to allergens and managing allergies with appropriate treatment may help manage Meniere's disease, as well."

I am standing by if you have any questions.

I hope this has been helpful to you and that I have fully answered your question. If so, please do click on the green 'accept' button so that Just Answer will forward my fee to me.

If you are pleased with my service you can request me anytime when you place your question, and by starting your question with "for 911DOC".

Thank you for your business and have a great day.

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician