Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

When I sit down my upper right thigh begins to hurt, a deep

When I sit down my upper right thigh begins to hurt, a deep hurt and I may start to feel dizzy and ears start ringing and somewhat nauseousness may also ensue, concentration goes out the window. I have to stand to alleviate the pain or sit on my left side only or on my hip bones, anything but on my upper right back of thigh/upper leg.
It appears to me to be blocking some blood flow but the pain is a deep intense pain. Does not happen when in any other position but sitting with weight on my right upper leg.
I am in tim-buc-tu in Nicaragua, but have had some prior vein scans via CAT and have had restrictive flow for years, but no symptoms of pain ever. This condition started gradually over the recent months, but the last 2 weeks has increased to nearly a 100% chance of the above symptoms beginning rather quickly, 1-5 minutes and has become impossible to remain sitting. I have other problems walking so sitting is something I have been forced to do and this is bad news.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.

Hello. I would like to help you find an answer.

Do you take any meds?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been taking Tramadol for a different siatica condition on my left side for some time, I can't walk well (diagnosed as a parilysis syndrome, or something like that, the nerves getting blocked in the bottox) and therefore I sit for long periods of time.
I just started taking some herbal tea and went to a accupunturiest, I'm in 3rd world Nicaragua and I'll nearly try anything.
Do you smoke?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
This could be a blocked artery in the leg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you stating what I am "guessing" that it is a main artery? At this point it has only gotten worse once it started, is there any reason to think it will go away, or is it something more drastic (the pain and seems the lack of oxygen{dizziness and ear ringing} as a symptom) that needs more urgent professional diagnosis? Again, I'm in Nicaragua and not very close to up scale medical attention, so I would have to travel and is it imperitive at this juncture that I do so ASAP, or wait and see if it gets better like an injury that heals itself?

It would be a large artery in the leg.

Yes, you need to see a doctor.

I would do it right away. I doubt it will improve on its own.

Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience: Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I started and then stopped taking statins. They seem to be one of the most prescribed treatments for chlestorol and other blood related problems. I did some research on them and the basics are that statins are not that good and possibly bad for you. I think the pharmecueticals are making a killing and people are wasting the $.
I stopped about a week ago, had been taking them for months, but I didn't get any symptom relief and the "not so good" data and cost made me think twice to continue.
PAD, is what I come up with as a layman's diagnosis. Being in Nicaragua makes certain things unavailable, but certain drugs can be gotten without a perscription. Is there any other blood clot disolver or other blood treatment that you would possibly recommend?
If I can find a specialist, what kind of specialist should I be looking for?
Expert:  Coachrobmd replied 2 years ago.
Statins are good for many people, and yes there are side effects. Many can be reduced by taking CoQ10a, which is an enzyme that statins decrease in the body, and supplementing it can help. This agent has been shown by decrease the risk (in a recent study) of rhabdomyolysis, the breakdown of muscle that is the #1 reason people stop taking statins. But that's now the question you're asking.

WIthout an exam, nobody can tell EXACTLY what you have, so of course we think the worst case, and what could happen if it goes untreated. Dr. Phil touched on a blocked artery, which is certainly possible.

Another is a mass within (or around) the femoral sheath (where your groin is), which has compartments which contain an artery and vein (among other things). The femoral nerve lies BEHIND the femoral sheath. If the sheath becomes enlarged, it can push back on the nerve and give you leg pain. It can also cause blocked blood flow from artery compression from a mass. An ultrasound would be needed to evaluate the sheath and it's components. The nerve, by the way, is HUGE, and any disruption to it can cause exactly the problems you're describing.

So, yes, I concur, this is something that would need attention sooner rather than later.

There are other problems such a inguinal ligament damage, muscle tears, etc, but they are not as dangerous as what we've discussed with you. I understand you're not in a good location to be receiving excellent care, but that's a hurdle that you will have to deal with. Nobody here can transport you to a medical center, even if we tried our hardest. So get on a donkey, horse, cow, or bicycle, and get some medical attention.

I wish you the best.

==================================
If you find this informative, please click "ACCEPT" or I do not receive credit for my answer and JustAnswer.com holds your deposit. FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS CAN ALWAYS BE ADDED BY HITTING 'REPLY' AFTER "ACCEPT" has been selected. Please take a moment to leave a positive feedback which does not cost you anything. This helps me establish trust with future patients on this site.
=======
A BONUS will be appreciated if you found my answer especially helpful. My responses are for information purposes only and are not intended to prevent, diagnose, treat, or cure any disease. They are not meant to replace or supersede your physician's advice. If you have a medical Emergency, go to your nearest Emergency Room or call 9-1-1. Future questions? Ask for CoachRobMD in the question title or see my profile to request me. You may also save my profile to your browser favorites.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I went to a doctor and he "thinks" it is a nerve problem. The pain only again happens when I put pressure on a certain section of the thy. A perfect description of the "where" it is located is the area of the thigh that sits on the toilet seat in the middle to upper thigh area towards the hip area.
The dizziness and ear ringing happens similarly when I tilt back my head to look up at something, bending my neck as in looking up like standing and changing a light bulb.
So I also believe it is nerve related, even though the blockage could be too, but when thinking about the relative speed of symptoms, almost instantaneous, that makes me think nerve problems too. Why the thigh area would do that to me when putting pressure on it while sitting doesn't make sense, but I just put pressure on that spot this second and my ears started ringing minor dizziness occured immediately, and blood stoppage I don't believe would have such simultaneous reaction.
The doctor prescribed some nerve "vitamins" and other medications and told to try them and have possibly got minor relief after a month, but so minor I don't know if I'm on the right course of treatment or not.
Another similar symptom is happening when I just look up with my eyes, not moving my neck, feel like if I keep it up I will pass out.
I noticed the relist.

What questions remain for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
From blockage to nerve problems, I still haven't received any relief of daily pain and the symptoms that are somewhat unbareable and constant. My previous statements that I can't walk any distances without pain and fatigue makes it that much worse when I can't even sit without going dizzy and ear ringing or sit in a weird unorthodox position.
What do I do to actually diagnose without guessing?
Should I see some noticable relief with the drugs the Nicaraguan doctor gave me within the framework of a month? Does the symptoms ring a bell that nerves in the thigh should or could produce these effects?
What do the symptoms of immediate ear ringing, dizziness and dull but tremendous pain mean? Can nerve problems in that area of the body produce such symptoms?
You need an ultrasound of the legs.