Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have an abdominal rectus strain, I believe from lifting a

I have an abdominal rectus strain, I believe from lifting a heavy weight and walking up 20 steps. Repeated back down when finished. I am 69 years old. The pain started in the lower abdomen as in pushup pain after doing too many. The pain shifted after 2 days to the left abdominus rectus and made it uncomfortable to stand up or lean forward. A small swelling appeared on the left side of the umbilical which is excrutiatingly painful to touch.
Is it possible this is a umbilical hernia? I can push on the rectus muscle with little pain and can't feel any obvious tearing.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Yes, it is possible that what you have described is an umbilical hernia.

RickMD :

The best way, of course, to figure out what is going on is to visit your regular MD and have her take a look at the area of tenderness and swelling. If it is a small umbilical hernia it shouldn't be very difficult for a surgeon to fix.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

RickMD :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

RickMD :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.