Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Hello, I am a 30 year old Male who is very concerned. I hope

Hello, I am a 30 year old Male who is very concerned. I hope that someone can answer my question.

Exactly 93 days ago, I had sex with a woman who I now believe is/was a prostitute. I used a condom to have intercourse, however, she did give me oral (blowjob) without the condom. I have visited several doctors because following this encounter, I had a lot of pain in me testicle.

I was tested for common STDs such as chlamydia, gonorrhea. It's possible I was tested for more, I know that I saw 4 doctors and they all cultured my urine.

The pain in my testicles according to my doctors is either prostatitis or what they call muscle spasms in my anal / perineum region (I am slowly recovering for really horrible pain in anal/perineum area). Currently I am on a medication called Terazosin 5mg, which is helping my perineum pain.

I am very concerned about HIV and I am scared - About a week ago, I felt a tingling and itchy feeling in my throat, and now slowly over the past couple days, I feel like I have a sore throat or tonsil. I have been reading a lot about symptoms, and I notice that when I swallow i feel like there is something there, and I think either my tonsil / lymph node is swollen BUT I REALLY DON'T KNOW.. Two weeks ago I was checked by my doctor physically and there was no swelling. But now suddenly last week I am feeling some very mild pain/bothersome in my throat and sometimes when I swallow i feel like it stings my ear.

1) Am I being overly paranoid about HIV?

2) What are the chances I could have gotten it based on the above encounter?

3) Are my symptoms alone indicative of HIV?

I can't explain how terrified I am, to the point where I don't even want to get tested - I feel like my life would be over.

Please help
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
Let me address your questions in order:

1. Yes

2. less then one in 2,500 which is a number used for unprotected sexual contact with a highly infected person. Receiving a blowjob would be considered to be a less risky behavior.

3. No.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

Are there any other concerns or issues you would like addressed on this topic?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Makses sense.

What are the chances of the following:

1) There may have been some fluids on her hand from lubricating her vagina, and then touching my penis causing HIV?

2) Using a condom for intercourse (which I did) and still getting HIV - I am paranoid that maybe when I took off the condom after we were done, her fluids may have gotten to the my penis?
1. So low as to not even be worth worrying about

2. Once again, very low....less then one in 2,500 chance.

I think you would feel a lot better if you went and got tested.....
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks doc, I appreciate the straight forward answer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello doctor, I'm sorry that I am following up on this again.

Aside from my above symptoms (soar throat, headache, and slight pain in my ears) Today I feel that my lower left abdomen, directly above my thigh area - but still above the waist, I feel a sharp pain randomly and occasionally. It just started today.

Should I be concerned about HIV now? I know that you've assured me earlier but I need to ask so that I can put my mind at ease. I have a doctors appointment next week.
No problem. I'm happy to help.

No. You need not be concerned about HIV infection from what we discussed. I'm glad to hear that you have a doctors appt next week so you can have a complete exam and possible testing should you so desire.

You have less of a chance of catching HIV from the activity you mentioned then I have of my middle daughter never asking me for money ever again lol!

All humor aside, you will be OK from an HIV point of view.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What can the shooting pains be in my abdomen? And without any disrespect to you at all, I posted this question to the HIV section of this site just to get another opinion. I hope that won't offend you.

As for your daughter, you can tell her that when I was young I got a measly $5 every two weeks, and boy was I happy!! :)
Not sure about the shooting abdominal pains....it could be something you ate, the flu (it's going around now) anxiety, or a million other things....but I don't think it is HIV.

No problem. I always believe that it is smart to get a second opinion and I know that there are some good docs on the HIV site. In my case I was at the front lines of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Greenwich Village, NYC in the early 90's. Back then almost 90% of my patient load and admissions were due to this beast and, since we had no good treatments yet, they died quick. As a matter of fact the guy who wrote the songs for the movie Little Mermaid was a patient of mine...

Hopefully between what we have discussed, what the JA docs on the HIV/AIDS section tell you and what you learn from your doctor next week everything will be fine and you can chalk this event up to a bad choice and move on.

It is a pleasure to chat with you. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Awesome! Glad to hear you've had that much experience. I am more comfy now.. Have a great night, and again I really thank you for putting so much effort in my response.
It is my pleasure. Have a good evening.

And I don't think my daughter will buy the 5 bucks every fortnight and I'm happy shtick.......
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD