Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have flashing "light" in my right eye, open or closed, just

Customer Question

I have flashing "light" in my right eye, open or closed, just started
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

I am an ophthalmologist and I believe I know what is going on with your eye...I'm not sure how you got routed to the medicine section, but no matter.....

Customer:

Can you see my original question and "what I have done so far"?

Customer:

Your thoughts?

RickMD :

Yup. Sure can.

RickMD :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

RickMD :

does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Would this require some kind of trama or impact? I have done nothing like that just the "new" cold.

RickMD :

No. There is no need for any trauma or impact. It can just happen due to the normal changes is the vitreous gel as we age. I've had one in my left eye for many years and when it first started it was like a fourth of July show inside my eye....

RickMD :

It is also not related in anyway to your recent cold....

Customer:

So this is not a sign of any "emergency" requirement and could be delt with when I finish the trip I am on?

RickMD :

And, as a retina surgeon I see hundreds of patients with vitreous issues every year...and I've been doing this for almost two decades now.

RickMD :

This is not an emergency at all...unless you have signs of a retinal detachment that I outlined above. If you do have those symptoms do not delay in seeing an eye MD

Customer:

OK, I'll take that as a yes that I could see my doctor when I get home on this Friday without "risking" permenent damage?

RickMD :

That is absolutely correct. Enjoy your vacation :)

RickMD :

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

RickMD :

Also, you can continue your normal daily activities, unless you are a Golden Gloves Boxer or an Olympic Heavy Weight lifter....

Customer:

Somehow I missed one of your comments and have re-read them. The increase in floaters happened yesterday. I thought it was because I was lying on my back working under my trailer, something I don't often do. The floaters have lessen over the last day or so. Would they have to continue to have it be a problem worthy of seeing a doctor right away? The light flashes have deminished as we are typing and only started a 1/2 hour ago.

RickMD :

There is no rush to see you ophthalmologist on Friday; if you can easily get in to see her, that is OK, but waiting a week or so is no big deal with a PVD in the vast majority of cases. It is not related to laying on your back or anything you have done. It just happens....

Customer:

OK, thanks very much! I think I have already paid at PayPal or is there something else I need to do?

RickMD :

From what you have told me I do not believe that you have any retinal involvement at this time and as long as things stay this way -- which is the case 98% of the time -- you will be fine.

RickMD :

Just mash the accept button...or some screens now have a smiley face for positive feedback and that way I will be given a piece of your payment for helping you.

RickMD :

Have a great night, try not to worry and enjoy the last few days of your vacation

RickMD :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

Great, I guess we are done then, thanks again.

RickMD :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.